Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Links

Here are some links to a few great sites with useful info....

http://survivalcache.com/

http://www.ready.gov/

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/

http://beprepared.com/

Last edited by Moochie; 09-23-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Please, no clickable links to non sponsors
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

h**p://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST8003-2

Something worth adding to any bug out vehicle.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hi Lift Jack Hitch Mount

Four addition tools I am working on keeping on/in the Jeep at all times

Hi Lift Jack

Axe

Shovel

Bow Saw

Here's my solution for the Hi Lift Jack. I know alot of guys may not like this because of four main reasons I can see. Departure angle - theft - exposure - rattles. Well the departure angle is really not greatly affected and the mount/hook help protect the spare tire, so the trade off is worth it for me. I will have to purchase two locks for this set up. Exposure just is what it is but I think I will try to make a sock for the end of the jack so when I need it the jack is not totally caked in mud and really useless. Yea a cover on the working end of the jack will help. I have taken her out for a little road test and haven't heard any rattles yet. I did wrap the end of the receiver with that soft side of velcro tape and I sure that help. All said and done I like it more the I thought I would. Now on to the Axe/Shovel mount....I think that will be good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Mount 018..jpg
Views:	968
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	90739

Name:	Jack Mount 026..jpg
Views:	999
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	90740

Last edited by AZOverland; 09-25-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racinfast002
along with a sidearm and plenty of ammo
You better 'cause where are you going to go??? Somebody like me will already be there at his home with a lot more guns and ammo than you can carry in your JK.

Do a web search on rubicon.....you'll find some interesting stuff.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

GREAT thread. ive got a few ideas of my own, just need the cash to put it together.

first aid. quik clot, bandages, alky pads, burn supplies, suture kit, splint, scissors, tape, all can be fit into a very small kit. and a few other things i didnt mention.

fire making. flint, bic, waterproof matches, small gasoline powered burner for cooking or heat, etc.

fire extinguisher/s.

tire repair kit.

zip ties, duct tape, epoxy.

basic toolset, hammer, adj wrench, vice grip, knife, etc

small hatchet.

clothes:

blankets, jackets, hat, socks, boots, sunscreen / bug repellant.

other:

knife, gun, ammo. my XD sub compact .40 can go anywhere, and my Snubnose .44 Mag works too. flare gun or flares is also good. something to signal if need be.

waterproof flashlight w/ batteries. i carry a Streamlight Scorpion lithium powered light. tiny, bright, and waterproof.

Multitool, like leatherman/gerber.

sunglasses

water. water purification tabs.

cooking pot, and MRE's.

Whistle, and Glow Sticks

CB Radio w/ Weather Alerts

Dual battery setup, love the solar panel idea.

Extra Gas, Oil, and Tent. Tarp too

Recovery gear. Rope, snatch block, snatch rope, etc.

now theres alot here that can be sized down, and carried. a pack that can easily be thrown in the back of the jeep is easy to make, with all these items. the jeep should be winched with matching spare, with jerry cans and big + to a roof rack.. shovel, hi lift, and air compressor also. i carry a small air compressor that plugs into the ciggy lighter. remember, it could be cold as shit or hot as hell. best be prepaired for both. also gotta have water. 50 powerbars is a good idea too. vitamins also, esp if youre running low on food.

again, great thread. love it.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atticka
I've put some thought in to this...

My main issue is that I live on an island (Montreal is surrounded by water) with limited bridge options.

Ideally I would head north to a more sparsely populated area, however the north shore bridges pass through Montreal's most populous suburb and are notorious for congestion.

Heading west would be the easiest way off the island, offering numerous roads besides the highway to travel (lots of easy off road routes over peoples lawns if needed) and two bridges to choose from.

Equipment list would be similar to what I take on an average canoe trip with some changes:
Additional food (dehydrated)
Gun for protection
Water canister (alongside a filter), maybe one of those water storage bumpers

Jeep mods:
Gas canisters or extended run tank
Dual battery kit + inverter (1000W+)
Heavy duty bumpers (pushing/pulling obstacles) + winch

Some other thoughts
Keep a trailer stocked with supplies ready to go outside of the urban environment
Have a country cottage (remote area) stocked with supplies as a bug out location or staging area (place to rest and refuel)

Good read!
If you're in MTL your toast, move to the south shore. Even in the south shore if it ever happen road are mostly useless... hell try to get east at 17:00 on the day before Saint Jean batiste, everything was completely jam.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as Bugging Out or a PAW/SHTF world, I have been set up for sometime.

Since we use the JK for the off-road/camping vehicle allready, it's actually ready to go today.

1st level is the Castle Doctrine. This house is a Fortress, built of real log, stood strong during one battle (Gettysburg) surrounded by open clear farm fields. Distances are pre-measured and known, each covered by interlocking fields of fire. With the current stores of MRE's and other goods/equipment we could last for 8 months with out scavanging or growing crops. Back up gen set, plenty of spare fuel, a seperate hand pump well and enough other equipment for any contingency (NBC) already in place.

2nd stage is if we have to abandon here, for that it's the JK. Onboard always in the JK is:
A. Hi-Lift
B. 3 days MRE
C. Compass
D. British Army Individual Tents 2ea
E. Winch with full recovery set up (hooks, snatch blocks, straps, etc)
F. Full Medical and light Surgical Kit with quick clot
G. Air Compressor, Fix a Flat, Full Plug Kit+ She sports about indestructable Kevlar MT/R's
H. 100 Foot Rope
I. Esbit Stove with 20 Trioxane Tablets
J. Water Purification Tablets and Charcoal/silver filtering device
K. Swiss Army Rain Ponchos 2ea
L. Full basic Tool Kit, JB Weld, RTV, spare wire, self fusing tape, etc
M. 5 Gallon External SCEPTER set up and canvas collapsable bucket
N. Entreching Tool
O. Machette
P. Signal Kit, 5 Minute 30,000 cft Orange Smoke Grenade, 5ea 3 minute Magnesium Flares and 2ea Magnesium 3 minute Signal Rockets
Q. Full Topo and Road Maps for Surrounding 3 states
R. Magellan Cross-over GPS (Road, Topo and Marine)
S. CB and Short Wave radio
T. Toilet Paper and Sanitizer
U. Magnesium Fire Starter
V. K-Bar Knife
W. Kevlar Gloves 2 pair
X. Space Blankets
Y. 2 Flashlights, 1 MagLite D style and 1 GI Style with Red Light
Z. Bug Spray and Sheet Softener
AA. Signaling Mirror
BB. Survival Fishing Tin
CC. Two MOPP Jackets in Woodland
DD. Fuel Siphon Hand Pump
EE. On Board 115V Power Invertor with 5vdc USB outlet
FF. Hand Saw with interchangeable blades, One Fine for Metal and One for Wood.

Ready to drop into the JK is a full pre-staged Pelican Case with a base camp, Two pre-loaded MOLLE Backpacks and other RuckSacks as well as a NOTEK (black-out) headlamp that can be readied within 5 minutes. That gives me the option to travel at night with minimal light signature without buring up batteries on the NVG's.

In the Pelican Case are:

1. Full Pup tent with Ground Cover
2. 3 weeks Rations
3. 2ea USGI -10F Sleeping Bags
4. Coleman lantern
5. Coleman Stove and additional Trioxane Fuel/Esbit stove
6. Full Washing Material
7. Ground Covers 2 ea
8. Air Matresses 2 ea
9. Additional Water Purification
10. Field Sinkl
11. Cooking Utensils and pots
12. Other misc supplies for primative camping

In the drop in rucksack is a Surplus Parchute sewed and rigged to tie off to the JK and a 20x20 camoflague net set-up

The Molle Packs and fighting vests/web gear are basic infantry load out, 72 hours rations, additional water purification, individual first aid kits, full MOPP and MCU2P, spare BDU's and so on.

The Molle 2 Pack set ups and web gear would be if the JK had to be abandoned, which is a distinct possibility in a SHFT situation. Realistically at that point, it's pure survial since max ground covered would be no more than 8 miles per day on foot.

Weapons Carried, its fully covered and lets just leave it at that.

At the end of the day, we really enjoy primative camping with the JK so both actually dovetail into one another. If we were not into the way we are, I don't know if I would have the "bug-out" gear I have at the ready like I do. The only slight hinderance I have, is being ex-military. Due to that, I know things one way and tend to gravitate to ex USGI/Mil Surplus equipment. Civvy equipment is lighter but, I don't know if I would trust my life on some Chinese-Wal Mart Sporting Goods stuff if push came to shove.

Hi-Lift and SCEPTER set up

Rear Molle Set Up

rear gate set up in Molle

Drop in Pre-Staged Pelican Camping set up

Base Camp set up with Parachute and Pup Tent

Signaling Illumination Set Up carried onboard

MOLLE 2 set up (The last straw plan)

Last edited by rnjstel; 09-26-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice rnjstel - what type of Med/First aid kit do you carry? I have been eyeballing Adventure Meds Mountain Compehensive. I think with that and adding Quick Clot's feild trauma kit to what I already have, I would have a med kit that matches or exceeds my limited training.

Does any one carry the Sawyer Extractor?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Arb in

Second Job today -

Installed the ARB Fridge in the rear. In the past I would keep it on the drivers side and it was not bolted down. A couple of problems with that - one - last trip it took a little spill and got scuffed up a little and - two - I had to remove the fridge to access anything under in the storage and -three - easy to steal. Here's what I did.

Moved the unit over to the passenger side, cut the storage lid with a jig saw, painted and cleaned up the cut and mounted the fridge. I ran a cable lock through the metal rings on the back of the seat to secure the unit. It would be very hard to steal as access to the rear of the unit is very limit but still it would be easy to take out if you have the key. Yea and I added some velcro to the lid and the roll bars so the lid stays open.

Name:	ARB install 006..jpg
Views:	779
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	90839

Name:	ARB install 005..jpg
Views:	730
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	90840

Name:	ARB install 008..jpg
Views:	748
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	90843
Old 09-25-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulianK
Don't forget your P51 can opener!
i've had mine on my key chain since Boot Camp at Fort Sill OK. in 1981.:C-Rats were always better than MRE's.beer:

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...