Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Being a avid outdoorsman, camper, backpacker and fisherman my brother has just introduced me to the idea of "Bugging Out" and I first thought with some minor changes in my organizing, packing and all around level of readiness Bug Out would be an easy switch. But theres alot too it.
For those who don't know (maybe I was the last one not too) Bug Out refers to being able to evacuate your home/city in very short order in the event of a major crisis were staying put would be more dangerous. In most cases the event will be localized and the timeframe will be limited. Examples include natural disaster, infrastructure failure, terrorist attacks, ect...... where getting out of Dodge is the best answer. Recent newlines clearly illustrate the such a level of preparedness is no longer left out there on the fringe of society but is something that most responsible persons want to address. Look at what happen in California with a gas main not to mention events like 911 or Katrina. The truth is any of us in our highly complex society may need to Bug Out at anytime, but the idea is far more involved than just grabbing the sh!t and hitting the road.

Let's discuss the whole Bug Out idea and how to prepare the JK as a BOV - Bug Out Vehicle....

I will be making a number of changes to my JK so it will serve as a better BOV and as a better camping Jeep over all and will post as those changes are made. I will start by removing most of the stickers that were on it when I purchased it and all the one I put one. I will be getting a quote from some co-works on a flat mat gunmetal grey paint job and consider painting the whole vehicle myself. I want the vehicle it be as low-key as four door JK on 37"s can be.....

What are your ideas? What makes your JK more BOV ready? Whats in your Bug Out bag?

Heres what I got going on the Jeep now that I think makes it better for longterm Bug Out.

Dual Batteries

5 watt solar charger hood mounted

ARB Fridge - can run the fridge for 13 days without a engine start

2 air compressors

Basic tool and recovery kit

Basic 1st aid kit

Roof rack

Heres the before picture and will be updated as I move more toward a BOV build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Snorkel 008 [1024x768].jpg
Views:	6102
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	90238

Last edited by AZOverland; 09-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
Being a avid outdoorsman, camper, backpacker and fisherman my brother has just introduced me to the idea of "Bugging Out" and I first thought with some minor changes in my organizing, packing and all around level of readiness Bug Out would be an easy switch. But theres alot too it.
For those who don't know (maybe I was the last one not too) Bug Out refers to being able to evacuate your home/city in very short order in the event of a major crisis were staying put would be more dangerous. In most cases the event will be localized and the timeframe will be limited. Examples include natural disaster, infrastructure failure, terrorist attacks, ect...... where getting out of Dodge is the best answer. Recent newlines clearly illustrate the such a level of preparedness is no longer left out there on the fringe of society but is something that most responsible persons want to address. Look at what happen in California with a gas main not to mention events like 911 or Katrina. The truth is any of us in our highly complex society may need to Bug Out at anytime, but the idea is far more involved than just grabbing the sh!t and hitting the road.

Let's discuss the whole Bug Out idea and how to prepare the JK as a BOV - Bug Out Vehicle....

I will be making a number of changes to my JK so it will serve as a better BOV and as a better camping Jeep over all and will post as those changes are made. I will start by removing most of the stickers that were on it when I purchased it and all the one I put one. I will be getting a quote from some co-works on a flat mat gunmetal grey paint job and consider painting the whole vehicle myself. I want the vehicle it be as low-key as four door JK on 37"s can be.....

What are your ideas? What makes your JK more BOV ready? Whats in your Bug Out bag?

Heres what I got going on the Jeep now that I think makes it better for longterm Bug Out.

Dual Batteries

5 watt solar charger hood mounted

ARB Fridge - can run the fridge for 13 days without a engine start

2 air compressors

Basic tool and recovery kit

Basic 1st aid kit

Roof rack

Heres the before picture and will be updated as I move more toward a BOV build.

Attachment 90238

i had no idea thats what that meant. but thats crazy that jeep is a house on wheels
and the solar pad is pretty damn cool! Did you say it ran the fridge? anyways thats a super cool idea just one thing i would throw in there is a air mattress just for comfort
lol but im like that haha anyways super cool jeep and i think you have mastered the
"bug out" idea and when you r rollin on 37's there is no really low key well not if im around i would be like when you drove by

cheers

Last edited by Sinkic; 09-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL where I live I am all ready "Bugged Out" LOL

U need more AR-15.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

What about switching it over to a 12 volt eletrical system. Old Chevy military blazers run this system. An EMP bomb will not affect the electrical system. Also go to mechanical fuel pump.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Reply

The solar panel justs help to charge the Aux. battery and with the fridge full and running I can go about 13 days with out the fridge shutting down when it is a 32 degrees and the outside temps are around 100. Sunny AZ helps, and so does the position of the solar panel. I also have an over head water storage system that mounts to the roof rack but that requires time to mount and can not be included in a real Bug Out situation when time is short.
My current Bug Out guns are the S&W 15-22 and the Springfeild XDM 9mm because of the cost of ammo and the amount of ammo I can carry on my back and the weight of the weapons. The 15-22 breaks in two with no tools and is easy to carry in a backpack.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbilt
What about switching it over to a 12 volt eletrical system. Old Chevy military blazers run this system. An EMP bomb will not affect the electrical system. Also go to mechanical fuel pump.
Does Jeep step the voltage down in the stock loom? I think the JK is operating at 12v. I know some vehicle drop the voltage for can communacations?
In requards to the fuel pump the question really is how long will it last? And even if you end up in a real WTSHTF situation and need to Bug Out long term you will be running out of gas soon......So let's say you are caching fuel and other supplies you along your planned evac route I still think the best case is your BOV is only going to get you to your location up to 400-500 miles. You won't be able to carry much more fuel than that and you won't be able to buy it readily.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

get extra fuel canister, unless you have always your JK full on gas each time your get home ? leaving on a full gas tank will get you a better chance.

This is more for your bag but don't forget communication get a short wave radio learn how to use it and be familiar with the schedule and the frequency of reputable station in and out of the country.

Road atlas is good, if you can have a gps with satellite view is even better as the JK is not bound to road

You can put a tinting plastic sticker type in your windows it will keep the glass together preventing it from flying all over the place if the windows ever get hit by something.

Repair kit for tire

The most important of all it the planning of your route, because you won't be alone to bug out.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

My Ramble:

I already have a "kit" put together. I had to remake it after my old Jeep was burglarized and they stole it :-( Basically I read Les Stroud's book "Survive" and put it together from that.

Never leave the tank more than half empty.

Jerry Cans - for when you can actually make it to a gas station (After 9/11, seeing the long lines for Fuel... holds you up on your "get away time")

Military grade "gas" masks. these have come a long way since the first Gulf War. In my old unit I was fitted for one that gave much better visibility. If you can't afford, or obtain this, go with the best particulate mask you can find/afford. It has just come out in National News that 800 rescue workers have died since 9/11/2001 due to what they came into contact with there.

Non JK stuff:

Have a Plan for Disasters. Of course, "stuff" is good to have to survive, but I mean, a protocol of how you and your loved ones will get out, communicate, and re-unite. After seeing all the pictures of 9/11 victims on fences and walls in NYC after the event, I can see a protocol of making contact a priority. Cell phones will probably be useless, as most of us may have discovered on that day. I was in Indiana and I couldn't get a cell phone call out to my Father who was only 56 miles away.

Don't just make one protocol. It should be "If not plan A, then Plan B" for example, if reuniting site A is unsafe, proceed immediately to Site B. Sounds simple, maybe paranoid, but hey, I'll have a plan in the event something happens.

Here is something that comes in handy. Maybe as a child, you and your parents had a "Safe Word" that if a stranger claimed they had a message from your family and that you had to go with them, in cases of emergencies, they'd know your "Safe Word". Don't forget this simple system!

Assume that ATM's won't work for what ever reason. Have some cash on hand - obvious I know.

Or

Assume that Cash won't have value, so have something that could be bartered with. Make sure it is a good thing to barter with. Take lessons from the looters of New Orleans/Katrina.. How is anyone going to enjoy a big screen TV when there isn't any electricity? Fine Whiskey, Chocolate (Kept cold in that ARB fridge) and Cigs may get you further!

Know other Jeepers! Imagine a convoy of Jeeps Bug'n Out! Allies are great to have!

I recommend the most practical high power civilian fire arm that you can afford. I know there are some anti-gun people out there, but this is no joke. I once heard a guy debate this, saying that if you were protecting your family with a "machine gun" how do you know that the national guard won't hear this and come running there to neutralize you, thinking you're the threat. This theory was answered with "And there you go... you believe that the National Guard will actually be there!"

Basically, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I know this was more about outfitting a JK, but there are many dynamics to "Bug'n Out" I love this term btw!

Last edited by Fenrir; 10-07-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Default My Bug Out Bag Consists of the Following:

Emergency Kit
Box of Alcohol Swabs
Mess Kit
5 Particulate Masks
Two 4 packs of AA batteries exp. 2017
Large pack of AAA batteries exp. 2017
4 D Cell Bat. Mar 2015
4 C Cell Bat. Mar 2016
2 9 volt Batteries and Steel Wool (Combine these to create a fire)
4 D Cell Mag Light
3 D Cell Mag Light
2 AA Mag Light
Head worn light
Cotton Gloves x2
50 Tea Lights (Tea lights and their holders can help elevate the temp in a well ventilated vehicle)
2 Tea Light Holders
1 Emergency Blanket
1 Whistle
Inflation Needles
Compass
Compass Directions (Yeah...maybe you know how to use it, but say your wife doesn't and you're unconscious)
Lt Dty Air Compressor - JK has the ARB Compressor Too
Jumper Cables - Heavy Duty
1 Hat - boonie cap style
Adjustable Wrench
Collapsible Shovel
1 hatchet
Work Gloves
1 pair Knee Pads
2 Emergency Triangles
1 Blue Tarp
1 Oil Funnel
1 Emergency Vest
1 Small ice Scraper
1 Pair Scissors
1 Small Philips Driver
1 Flat Head Driver
Tactical Green Duct Tape
6 Bungies
Leatherman - Kept Sharp
Imodium
Water Proof Matches
Match Tin Holder
Sharpening Stone
Fire Starter
H-cortisone exp. 8/11
Emergency TP
Granola Bars

Separate from kit: 24 case of bottled water

This makes for a heavy kit, so make sure your duffle (should you use that) is strong! Mine is in a Walmart bough duffle bag that I bet the straps will break...I need to fix that.

I also keep this list handy with expiration dates of items that can spoil/go bad. I just bought some stuff tonight to supplement this list, mainly camping stuff.

This Kit changes from Summer to Winter, and for the environment I'll be in.

Also, some of the items are useless if you lack training or know how to use them effectively. Spending tons of money on a custom kit will get you what you need, but that alone is no guarantee you'll survive. Be "Expert" familiar with your equipment (Extra points if you know how to fix/repair it) Heck, if I won the lotto and could go back to college, I'd go for to be a Jeep mechanic if I could! :-)

Last edited by Fenrir; 09-22-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Jeep makes a terrible bug out vehicle.

It does not have a lot of room for gear + passengers and the gas mileage is horrible.

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...