Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stick hesitation after shifting

Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick hesitation after shifting

I've got an 09 JKU Rubicon 6 speed and it seems that there's a hesitation after each shift, especially 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4, not sure it's noticeable in the higher gears... Am I shifting wrong or is something wrong with my jeep?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same thing happen with my 2010 Sport a few times now. Usually happens to me after granny driving to try and get better mileage (its a Jeep, never gonna happen ). I don't know if it actually starts to get too lean on the AFR, but I just bag it for a few starts from red lights of stop signs and it clears up right away. If that didn't work, some fresh fuel usually clears it up. Maybe some bad gas from a previous fill up caused it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merlin75
I've got an 09 JKU Rubicon 6 speed and it seems that there's a hesitation after each shift, especially 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4, not sure it's noticeable in the higher gears... Am I shifting wrong or is something wrong with my jeep?
There's more info on this somewhere on the forums but nevertheless it's normal. I have the same issue too. I'm no mechanic but I think it has to do with the electronics, what's it called, fly-by-wire I think?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have noticed a "dead zone" on my '09 JKU Rubi since I got it in the 1700-1900rpm range. Below or above that rpm range everything seems normal.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vincent
There's more info on this somewhere on the forums but nevertheless it's normal. I have the same issue too. I'm no mechanic but I think it has to do with the electronics, what's it called, fly-by-wire I think?
As I understand it, the momentary lag of acceleration is condition of the electronically controlled throttle, as opposed to the older style cable actuated throttle control.
I was quite concerned, as my 09 was my first car from this century, and the first with electronically actuated throttle, and the lag caused me concern.
I have a 97 TJ and had a 98 Ford Expedition, all cable actuated throttle.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's the by product of drive by wire. Give it some gas a second before letting the clutch out in the new gear. With a little practice you'll get the timing down because there is a split second delay of when you press the skinny pedal and the computer actually gives it gas. As the upper gear ranges get closer to each other, it's not as noticeable as in 1, 2 and 3.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

ahhhhh the electronic accelerator makes sense, ugh that's frustrating! The other car I drive is an 07 New beetle, also manual, so if I get accustomed to hesitating then I'll be f'd when I drive that car.. oh well guess I'll just never drive it again ;-)

Anywas thanks for the quick responses! That likely solves it.. I may swing by a dealer and have a test drive of another similar JK to make sure it behaves the same, but for now I feel better!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Not to have you throw money at something already... but there is a module designed to get rid of that lag... not sure on 2012's yet... but there were some people who thought the module really helped out... I think it has a write up on this forum ?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Up-amp-Review

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 11-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Not to have you throw money at something already... but there is a module designed to get rid of that lag... not sure on 2012's yet... but there were some people who thought the module really helped out... I think it has a write up on this forum ?

Apparantly if you're running Superchips or one of the other tuners you can also alter the throttle lag of the drive-by-wire system.

Last edited by JKlad; 11-10-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup

Please. I threw money at it the day after it came home lol. And next week it gets a 4" lift. Thanks for the link I'll look into it

Quick Reply: Stick hesitation after shifting