Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGIG Map Database Version

Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m0brando
Also - I've never done map updates from Navteq. Upon looking into it via google searches I saw several saying it was not worth the $2xx to update. Several maps in their areas were still not updated and not much of an update to POI's. Has anyone updated/have opinions?
Yep I agree....it not worth $225. Remember Navteq will charge you tax regardless what state you live in. So when they say it's only $199 for the update they are lying..it really $225

Not to mention they are very shady when it comes to giving out the info on what city's they have actually updated. Go to their site it's a total joke. They are not getting a dime from me till they start providing the detailed info.

I know a few people that have paid for the update and ended up getting ZERO updates for their immediate area. So it was a total waste of money.

To be honest if the funds come available I would rather buy one of the new Garmin based MyGig before I invest in the update for the Navteq unit. A lifetime update subscription from Garmin is $89.99. With Navteq you only get ONE update for $225. When Navteq releases another update you have to pay $225 AGAIN!

Please don't waste your money on Navteq updates. If people would stop paying that ridiculous price for them that would force Navteq to lower their prices.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whpony96
Yep I agree....it not worth $225. Remember Navteq will charge you tax regardless what state you live in. So when they say it's only $199 for the update they are lying..it really $225

Not to mention they are very shady when it comes to giving out the info on what city's they have actually updated. Go to their site it's a total joke. They are not getting a dime from me till they start providing the detailed info.

I know a few people that have paid for the update and ended up getting ZERO updates for their immediate area. So it was a total waste of money.

To be honest if the funds come available I would rather buy one of the new Garmin based MyGig before I invest in the update for the Navteq unit. A lifetime update subscription from Garmin is $89.99. With Navteq you only get ONE update for $225. When Navteq releases another update you have to pay $225 AGAIN!

Please don't waste your money on Navteq updates. If people would stop paying that ridiculous price for them that would force Navteq to lower their prices.
I’m certainly not going to pay $200 ($225) every year for new maps, but I would spend $50 per year for maps. It looks like the current map set they have is 3 years old, so I may buy the next set (which would work out to $50 per year).

Unfortunately you are correct that they don’t tell you what’s on the maps the sell. Their site does show a map, which you could use to see if they made your updates, but unfortunately they said the on-line map is not the same as the one they sell.

I don’t know that I want to buy the maps if I can’t see what’s on them first…

I bet the Garmin unit will use Garmin maps, and the pricing would be great. I have a lifetime bumper to bumper warrantee on my Jeep, so I’m sticking with the unit that the Jeep came with and maybe just update the maps every 4 years.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by joe002
Do you know what you had before the update? Did you get some good updates on the map?
Here's what I had for the Nav Database before the install.

I'm not quite sure what I do or don't have at this point. It's kind of like you just find out what you DON'T have when you try to navigate to it, and it's not there.

If anyone has any specific locations that aren't showing up on correctly on their current Nav maps and if you want me to verify they're in the new update, then I'll be happy to look them up. Just list me some addresses or something.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Rednroll - Hmmmm. Did you buy the unit (used) from someone? I’m just wondering because the database date looks like September 2005 (N 0905), and you have a 2009 Jeep.

Thanks for the offer to look up locations!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Rednroll - Hmmmm. Did you buy the unit (used) from someone? I’m just wondering because the database date looks like September 2005 (N 0905), and you have a 2009 Jeep.

Thanks for the offer to look up locations!
I think your decoder ring is a bit off.

0642 is the 42nd week of 2006
Which would make my previous database of 0905 the 5th week of 2009.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-09-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Just got the THIRD disk in the mail. Same disk mailed 3 times over a few months. What a waste of money. No wonder they need to charge 200 bucks. How about dont send any disks and set up a website for downloading and charge 50 bucks for the upgrade and maybe a additional small fee if you want the dealership to do it.

Jeep... save your money and stop sending me these disks.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I think your decoder ring is a bit off.

Which would make my previous database of 0905 the 5th week of 2009.
I, guess they dropped the first 3 digits in your "old" map (which is when Navteq actually created the map data). The last 4 digits is when they started putting it in vehicles. I was more interested in how old the data is, not when they started selling it.

The “new” map has data current to the second quarter of ’09 and was put into the MyGIG starting the fourth week of 2010.

So, I guess they dropped the first three digits in your old map, so we have no idea when the map data was created, but they started putting it in the MyGIG the fifth week of 2009.

Last edited by joe002; 12-09-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Just got the THIRD disk in the mail. Same disk mailed 3 times over a few months. What a waste of money. No wonder they need to charge 200 bucks. How about dont send any disks and set up a website for downloading and charge 50 bucks for the upgrade and maybe a additional small fee if you want the dealership to do it.

Jeep... save your money and stop sending me these disks.
I think the problem is completely with Navteq. I don't think Jeep/Chrysler is sending them out.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I, guess they dropped the first 3 digits in your "old" map (which is when Navteq actually created the map data). The last 4 digits is when they started putting it in vehicles. I was more interested in how old the data is, not when they started selling it.

The “new” map has data current to the second quarter of ’09 and was put into the MyGIG starting the fourth week of 2010.

So, I guess they dropped the first three digits in your old map, so we have no idea when the map data was created, but they started putting it in the MyGIG the fifth week of 2009.
I believe written on the disk was "208", which would have made it a 2nd quarter of 2008 disk. I'm not sure why that number doesn't show up on the MyGig. I believe the 209 doesn't show up on the new one I installed either but just says 1004.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I believe written on the disk was "208", which would have made it a 2nd quarter of 2008 disk. I'm not sure why that number doesn't show up on the MyGig. I believe the 209 doesn't show up on the new one I installed either but just says 1004.
OK, that makes sense! I got the full number from Navteq. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Map Database Version