Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Clutch bypass

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bypass

I know the question has been asked at least a thousand times. How to bypass the clutch switch to do a remote starter on a manual transmission. Well I think I came up with the safest way to by pass the switch ( not to start a pissing contest if the remote start on a manual is safe or not) I decided to use a relay. Have a switched 12v source apply power when the start sequence is started. The ground from the parking brake would be used to close the circuit. tap off the parking brake ground to feed the ground to the clutch switch to complete that circuit and it would not allow the vehicle to be remotely started unless the parking brake was set. On paper it appears as if it would be a good way to do it , but I have been known to over think things at times.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nice

just don't park near me

My buddy said he could do a remote start, but the vehicle knew it was in Neutral..

is there a sensor for that in the JK?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no internal switch in the transmission to detect when in neutral..

some people have built a module that has micro switches with feelers that will only be closed when the stick is in the neutral position.. ive seen this done for Hondas.. you could also pretty easily put a safety switch in so your transfer case must be in neutral for the remote start to work. a relay from the remote start module on the clutch switch should work for that part.. as I know the Jeep doesnt care if the key is turned before the clutch is in.. as ive turned the key and then stabbed the clutch and it still started...

-Christopher
Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Compustar makes a remote start for manual. With the right bypass module it is a simple install. Maybe 5 wires....
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

I used the Fortin Evo all bypass module that just so happens to work as a remote start for a lot of Chrysler vehicles. It is just designed for auto trans missions and all of the connections made with it were plug ins. I will be connecting the parking lights to it and setting up the relay tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it all depends on how that module determines a started vehicle. chrysler vehicles with auto trans all have Tip-to-Start which means the module does not need to determine the vehicle has started. the car's onboard computers verify when the car is started and cease the signal to the starter.. if that module has internal means for knowing when the Jeep has started (monitoring RPMs) then it may work.. if it just applies 1 or 2 seconds of start signal then it may not start the Jeep...

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Clutch bypass