Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger's Side Floor Wet

Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike-d
Well first rain since i pulled a little of the door seal out to see if that stops the leak Im having. Fail! back to the drawling borad.
Hate to hear it! Been rainin alot here in Indiana... I'm stayin dry. All it's doin is raising the seal to be tighter to the roof.. Good luck on stoppin the mini water fall!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Dealer put new seal on today we will see when it rains.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Back from the kinda dead....

Does anyone that got the new seal on their 2011 have the part #?

Mines already been in once for the passenger side, but whatever they did to try and fix it just made it worse, and the drivers side now has a water fall at the back top corner the 1st time I stop after it's been sitting in rain.

Put the soft top on yesterday so I'll see if that fixes it for now, but I'd like the updated seal so I don't have to worry about it when I put the hard top back on.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

I've read a LOT of accounts of moisture or water under the front passenger floor mat, something I noticed the day after I took delivery of my 2011 Wrangler Rubi Unlimited.

The dealer washed the car right before we took delivery. When I found the wet floor mat the next day I was dumfounded as to how the mat could possibly be wet.

I dried the mat out and went on about my business. A few days passed and I washed the Jeep. After the wash I decided to check the mat again. It was wet again!

I removed the slush mat I had purchased, pulled away the plastic trim piece above the carpet, and removed the passenger footwell carpet piece. Then we did a test with a hose to try to find where the water was entering the Jeep.

After spraying all around the door and roof seals produced no water, we sprayed the area where the hood meets the fender near the passenger side "A" pillar. Soon thereafter, I saw water entering the Jeep in one of the holes where the carpet trim piece is attached to the side of the footwell.

As far as I can tell, this is the source (I hope the only one) of my water entry and I suspect those who have had no success in stopping leaks when dealers replace door moulding and such may find this is the source of their leaks as well.

As a temporary measure, I applied some duct tape to the hole and skewered the trim attachment stud with four layers of duct tape.

I'm hoping this will prevent water from entering through the hole. If it is not successful, I will have the dealer attend to the matter.

Fortunately, I know exactly where to direct the dealer's attention and can avoid having numerous trips to the service department for replacement of various door and roof seals, which aren't likely to be the cause of my leak.

For those who have persisting water showing up under the passenger floor mat/carpet, even after replacement of various door and roof seals, I suggest you turn your attention to this trim piece hole as the likely source of water penetration.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHart
I've read a LOT of accounts of moisture or water under the front passenger floor mat, something I noticed the day after I took delivery of my 2011 Wrangler Rubi Unlimited.

The dealer washed the car right before we took delivery. When I found the wet floor mat the next day I was dumfounded as to how the mat could possibly be wet.

I dried the mat out and went on about my business. A few days passed and I washed the Jeep. After the wash I decided to check the mat again. It was wet again!

I removed the slush mat I had purchased, pulled away the plastic trim piece above the carpet, and removed the passenger footwell carpet piece. Then we did a test with a hose to try to find where the water was entering the Jeep.

After spraying all around the door and roof seals produced no water, we sprayed the area where the hood meets the fender near the passenger side "A" pillar. Soon thereafter, I saw water entering the Jeep in one of the holes where the carpet trim piece is attached to the side of the footwell.

As far as I can tell, this is the source (I hope the only one) of my water entry and I suspect those who have had no success in stopping leaks when dealers replace door moulding and such may find this is the source of their leaks as well.

As a temporary measure, I applied some duct tape to the hole and skewered the trim attachment stud with four layers of duct tape.

I'm hoping this will prevent water from entering through the hole. If it is not successful, I will have the dealer attend to the matter.

Fortunately, I know exactly where to direct the dealer's attention and can avoid having numerous trips to the service department for replacement of various door and roof seals, which aren't likely to be the cause of my leak.

For those who have persisting water showing up under the passenger floor mat/carpet, even after replacement of various door and roof seals, I suggest you turn your attention to this trim piece hole as the likely source of water penetration.
Nicely spotted!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DHart

Found the hole on my 2011 Sport and it did indeed leak water. Removed the carpet and put down a piece of rubber and the the slush mat on top. Smeared the hole with a big gob of silicon seal before reinstalling the plastic kick panel. Still have a water leak coming from the bottom of the door weather seal and flowing over the door threshold into the passenger floor area.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mines also looks like it's coming from the bottom of the door seal and pouring over the plastic trim....

BUT I also noticed water marks at the top corner where the "infamous" notch is removed from the door seal and running down the metal parts of the door panel. So I'm pretty sure it's starting up to and just running down the edge of the weather stripping and then over flowing in to the foot well.

Hasn't appeared to leak since I switched to the soft top though.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also leaks from this hole, the water is entering between the firewall and cowling I think, Is plugging this hole the anwser or just masking the problem? Should there be water flowing behind this hole, is this normal? Or should we be looking above to where the water is entering the area behind the hole?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Bottom of door leak

I did some more water testing today to see if I could find how the water is getting in. I laid a hose on the soft top and ran the water down over the passenger window and right front corner of the windshield. The water leaks in over the door threshold at the bottom of the door where I put the black dot in the attached photo. The photo of the weatherstripping is at the top corner of the door where I believe the water starts it's journey down to the eventual leak. As I looked at the door from the outside it seemed to me that it was located just a hair closer to the Jeep body than the drivers side door. This could allow the water to drip from the underside of the door and into the Jeep interior. If the door were moved just a hair further out from the Jeep maybe the water would drip ouside the threshold lip and run out side the Jeep. I loosened all the hinge bolts slightly and relocated the door ever so slightly outward. Then retightened everything, did the hose test again and no water came in. The door shuts and looks fine. I will do some more water testing tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Door Hinge.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	177803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak location.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	177804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherstrip.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	177805  
Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great find, did you adjust both hinges? or just the upper?

We just got torrential rain, I'm scared to go out and check my floor lol

Quick Reply: Passenger's Side Floor Wet