Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tires vs the beach

Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires vs the beach

So I live in an area where I can drive on the beach and I do most of the year. My question is should I buy new tires or used? I thinking that the salt will eat my tire way early. Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

i live near the shore to and usually go drive on the beach to, but ive never heard of salt eating away at a tire, i mean its no different than driving on a salted road in the winter bump if someone has info
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to live near the beach and many cars were parked practically on the beach all year round. Also, our 4x4 club would sometimes get permission to have an event on the beach.

Never seen damage from salt directly. I Googled the issue and no one seems to have any proof of tire damage from salt.
Salt is abrasive, but sand even more so. So I would get lighter patches on the sidewalls of the tires after playing in the sand. Cleaning and some tire dressing took are of that.

I'm much more worried about the salt affecting metal and electronics. Some guys think it is cool driving through the surf and splashing up water. That does not look smart to me...
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Blue,
I used to spend a few weeks each summer on Nantucket with an over sand permit and never found salt to be any trouble on the tires. It does eat away at everything else though. I replaced my exhaust from the manifold to the tail pipe with stainless headers, cat and muffler and all the little bits in between. Rinse off often, it will help.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be sure to rinse off the body but it shouldn't have any effects on your tires.

Quick Reply: tires vs the beach