Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS & Valve Stem fix

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS & Valve Stem fix

So, not sure if anybody else has had the problem but 2 weeks ago, I sheered off my valve stem.

Sorry about the pics, they're taken from my cell phone. All the threads are sheared off the end of the valve stem and the top of the core is crushed and bent over.

Come to find out that Jeep sells a replacement in 2 different manners. 1 is to sell the entire TPMS sensor assembly with valve stem and all for the low low price of $71.20. 2 is to sell a 'servicing kit' which includes some of the parts included in option 1 at a steal of a price of $62.85. After finding this out I tell the firestone tire care to just replace it with a regular rubber valve stem and make sure to get the rest of the sensor returned to me.

note the sticker says "Schrader Electronics" (it's important later)

TPMS sensor with broken valve stem in hand, I decide to do some google searching to try to find a cheap replacement. There are lots of them commercially available for less than what Jeep is charging but no real confirmation if they are compatible with the stock monitoring system. I then procede to check out a web site for Schrader Electronics (printed right on the sensor). At first it doesn't look promising but after some digging, I found their TPMS catalog. This turns out to be a very handy tool in finding what I need. It lists all the part numbers for the sensor, servicing kit, and valve stem. Not only that, but in back, it also has a cross reference for Jeep's part number as well as a NAPA part number for the valve stem and servicing kit. Could this really be the Napa, as in Napa auto parts? Quick search on google followed by a search of Napa parts catalogue and they have exactly what I need.

Valve Stem @ $3.29 and Service Pack @ $3.29

Jeep community + Google = 1
Chrysler/Jeep = 0

Disclaimer: All information is for a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. According to Jeep's parts website, other years did have differing TPMS sensors but I'm sure data on other model years can just as easily be found with Google.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find

I had researched it as well, but hadn't got anywhere useful. I wanted to swap my TPMS sensors over into my aftermarket wheels, but I was afraid of shearing them off when offroading. I ended up installing rubber stems instead and deal with the light. I can turn it off with my superchips, but I would really like to have the TPMS for daily driving. It has already alerted me to two slow leaks in two years, so I really appreciate having it there. For that replacement cost, I can buy a few of these and toss them in the glovebox for emergency repairs.

I still have a feeling that there has to be a flexible rubber stem replacement out there that would be compatable too, but I think it would take some trial and error to find it.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good find on the parts. They cost almost twice as much on Amazon.

Sometime in the '10 or '11 model year Jeep switched to rubber valve stems with very similar sensors. Those are the kits I am hunting for. That catalogue only goes up to '10. If you stumble across a '10 or '11 kit at Napa or anywhere else Please let us know.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told they can't be fixed, just replaced..

Just get aftermarket ones on eBay..
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Uafan
I was told they can't be fixed, just replaced..

Just get aftermarket ones on eBay..
See above anecdote for reasons I don't listen when people tell me BS stories.

One new sensor on eBay, $30+.
Price of fixing the original, $7.
Knowing that I just circumvented being bent over by Chrysler/Jeep, priceless.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joe C
See above anecdote for reasons I don't listen when people tell me BS stories.

One new sensor on eBay, $30+.
Price of fixing the original, $7.
Knowing that I just circumvented being bent over by Chrysler/Jeep, priceless.
Great find. I went the other way after I bought new rims, I had them install regular long stem air valves and bought a AEV Pro-Cal Tool to shut down the TPMS for good. I check my pressures once a week. When the warranty expires and you find out how much the board is " The same TPMS is shared with the SENTRY key system" very expensive. One shoot hookup with the Pro-Cal tool or equivalent, done for the life of the Jeep.

Glad it worked out for you.

SLIM
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Great find. I went the other way after I bought new rims, I had them install regular long stem air valves and bought a AEV Pro-Cal Tool to shut down the TPMS for good. I check my pressures once a week. When the warranty expires and you find out how much the board is " The same TPMS is shared with the SENTRY key system" very expensive. One shoot hookup with the Pro-Cal tool or equivalent, done for the life of the Jeep.

Glad it worked out for you.

SLIM
Yep, I will definitely do the same with the ProCal one day but I'm still on the stock tires and wheels so I don't have a huge need for the programmer yet.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks very much for this info. I crushed one of mine on a rock last weekend. Here's the quote from the dealer:

New sensor - $78.32
Labor - $30.00
Programming - $55.00
All plus tax for a total of $178.35

After reading your post I looked the service packs up at NAPA. They've gone up to $3.49 each, so with tax $7.62
Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yikes, the dealer raped me then, he told me it was impossible to purchase only the stems.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I have five I need to replace. Good find I have a 09 2dr.

Quick Reply: TPMS & Valve Stem fix