Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thump sound from rear driver side tire post lift

Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thump sound from rear driver side tire post lift

Just installed a rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with bilstein 5100s.

I have been hearing this frequent thump noise from the rear driver side tire and have no idea what it is

Only occurs on small.bumps in the road. Nothing seems loose...I checked the trackbar no problems
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Post a few pics. Could be the coil is bowed out, or the link is contacting the rim, or any number or other things.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Post a few pics. Could be the coil is bowed out, or the link is contacting the rim, or any number or other things.
Im gonna take the tire off and post pics tomorrow.

it almost sounds like it is coming from the rear door or below the door. Gonna take the door off as well and drive around to rule that out...

It only started after installing the lift so i doubt it is the door. It is getting worse though, it is starting to sound like something is going to fall apart when i hit bumpy terrain. Bit worried.

It kind of makes that sound like a tire dropping in and out of a small pothole. That "dum, dump" type sound. But over and over.

This morning i loosened and re-torqued the rear trackbar and control arms... pretty sure i didnt miss anything. I did not re-do the links.

Last edited by Trauma; 03-05-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue after I installed the Tera Flex 2.5 coil lift. I tracked it down to the door latch. I put some electrical tape around the striker and there has been no more noise! I wish I could correlate the door to the lift but the only thing that comes to mind is the new ride is stiffer and might have amplified the door latch noise.

I hope that is all there is (east fix)!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Trooper1276
I had the same issue after I installed the Tera Flex 2.5 coil lift. I tracked it down to the door latch. I put some electrical tape around the striker and there has been no more noise! I wish I could correlate the door to the lift but the only thing that comes to mind is the new ride is stiffer and might have amplified the door latch noise.

I hope that is all there is (east fix)!
Can you show me a picture of what you did? I do not understand where exactly i need to put tape over. I would be so relieved if this is the issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Well i adjusted the striker because the door apparently was not even lined up with the tub.

Still made the noise.

I just now wrapped tape around the contact point, but have not tested it yet.

I did notice that when i close the door, it basically rips the tape up. Did i put too much?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
Just installed a rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with bilstein 5100s.

I have been hearing this frequent thump noise from the rear driver side tire and have no idea what it is

Only occurs on small.bumps in the road. Nothing seems loose...I checked the trackbar no problems
This is a known problem with the JK. The thumping is coming from the driver door hinge at the B pillar. Chrysler has a TSB on it. They just load the hinge with some sort of special heavy grease to fix it. Had mine done 2 weeks ago. So far so good.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lopezv123
This is a known problem with the JK. The thumping is coming from the driver door hinge at the B pillar. Chrysler has a TSB on it. They just load the hinge with some sort of special heavy grease to fix it. Had mine done 2 weeks ago. So far so good.
it really sounds more like its coming from the door, near the floor or latch. It just worries me because it only started after installing my lift. It almost sounds too loud/interior to be from the suspension though.

I wrapped the rear latch with tape, have not driven with it yet. I am gonna take the doors off as soon as it is not raining and i can truly rule out if its the suspension or doors.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
it really sounds more like its coming from the door, near the floor or latch. It just worries me because it only started after installing my lift. It almost sounds too loud/interior to be from the suspension though.

I wrapped the rear latch with tape, have not driven with it yet. I am gonna take the doors off as soon as it is not raining and i can truly rule out if its the suspension or doors.
sorry, I meant the latch, not the hinge.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lopezv123
sorry, I meant the latch, not the hinge.
Ok I am really relieved now. The tape mod fixed the noise.

Do you have a link to the chrysler TSB I wanna bring it in. I feel ridicclous having electrical tape on my doors.

Quick Reply: thump sound from rear driver side tire post lift