Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy On The Block!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy On The Block!

Like the title says I am the new guy on the block. I am needing some help as to what direction that i should go with some lift, wheels and tires, and gears. I am not in a huge hurry but would like to get my duck in a row before hand. Any help would be great. I think that I am partial to the 2.5 in lift look and the 33in tires to go with it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

I think thats a good choice, simply for less strain on other components meaning you will not have to upgrade as much saving you some cash. I went with the 2.5 inch and 33s and it seems to be working good for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could even do spring spacers w/ 35's.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default Any Suggestions?

Thanks for the info. Now I am looking for what is the best bang for my buck suspension wise. I am wanting something that has a good warranty, and is going to last. I am looking for something that is good on and off road, i am not going to wheel every weekend but when i get a chance i want to be able to put her through the paces. Where should i look? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Spend some time in the faq's stickied to the top of this modified area. There is some good info on lifts and backpacing and gearing and components and...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

with an unlimited, go 3" or bigger, due to the break over angle and longer wheel base. 35s will work with that.

do it once, do it right. if you get 33s, you will immediately want 35s. after you get 35s, you will want 37/38s. Look around at the various pictures and find out exactly what look you want. If you decide you would eventually want 37s, get a 4" lift, 18" wheels, and 37s from the start.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Spend some time in the faq's stickied to the top of this modified area. There is some good info on lifts and backpacing and gearing and components and...
I agree, spend a lot of time reading, you would be suprised by the topics that have already been covered. Be realistic about what your going to do with it, and just becasue someone else has a bumper or fenders, or llift doesn't mean you will necessarily like it on your jeep. A lot of creating the "Look" you want is trial and error.

Something to consider is that a jeep is never completely done. You can always find something else to modify or change about.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First off, welcome to the forum and congrats on your JK!! You have some options at this point.. If you do decide to go with 33's, you wouldn't have to lift the Jeep right away.. Mine is sitting on 33's w/ no lift (waiting for the warranty to end).. It may buy you some time to look through all the threads and see exaclty what you want to do.. There are also a lot of members that just switch out the stock tires and mount new ones on the stock wheels.. Again, that'll just be good if you want to take your time deciding what track you want to go with it(wheels,etc.).. If you get 35's a lift will be a necessity.. By all means a lift w/ the larger tire will be sick!! I'm happy w/ mine for now.. Keep us up to date w/ your progress.. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: New Guy On The Block!