Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have or had a CPE (Champion) winch? $250 for a 10000LB winch Good Deal?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have or had a CPE (Champion) winch? $250 for a 10000LB winch Good Deal?

So Sam's Club has 10,000Lb winches by CPE or Champion Power Equipment winch marked down to $250. They come with everything, line, remote, and recovery equipment. So is this a good deal? I know everyone says "Just Buy A Warn," well I'm never going to have that kind of cash to put down. So should I buy off brand or go without? Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Sorry to repeat the same old adage, but Warn is the only way to go. You are talking about an item that is used only in an emergency situation, so do you rely on something that may not work, or do you wait and get something that you know will work. Your call, but I have never wanted to install a winch that I did not know for a certainty would get me out of the back country. It just stands to reason that no one could manufacture a winch for a sixth of the price and expect it to be good quality. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

You know what they say; Opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

You need to take into account the type of wheeling you do, and all that kind of stuff, and then make the decision that works best for you.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

I wheel alone and I have to know my winch will work under harsh conditions so I held out to get a Warn
Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default I had the 8000lb Champion

You notice I say I had. Son stuck jeep really good(see picture). I could not find anything straight on to hook to except sons Expedition, tied to another jeep, tide to another small truck. Winch still pulled all three to me because of local soil conditions. So I tied onto the only good sized tree I could find. It was about a 75 degree angle from the winch. I started moving, then heard a pop. The whole winch caseing cracked. Its just cheap metal. The case is what held the drum in place so the winch was shot. Only 1 year warranty, I missed it by about 2 days. The winch did work to pull out several people over the year I had it, but I would go with something else. Smittybilt, Rough Country, Mile Marker, ect. to fit your budget.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I know everyone has opinions but I go be experience with the products. My buddy has a warn on his toyota its a bad ass rig with alot of money into it. He thought hey if I buy the expensive warn I wont have problems wrong that thing has been in the shops more than I can count. I have a smittybilt and never have had a problem with it. Like I said I go by my experience with the product maybe a had a bad warn winch but that was my experience with them both. O and my buddy threw out the warn and bought a smitty after seeing mine.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Anyone else with personal experience? I thing for now ill just swing by Sams everyday, hopeing they'll mark them down again. I'm if I can get it for less than $200, I couldn't go worng. I'm never on my own wheelin, so I think I should be fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone have or had a CPE (Champion) winch? $250 for a 10000LB winch Good Deal?