Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Limited Slip

Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I don't know if the ESP or BAS was doing what, but here is the test I did.

I put this in another thread, but I can't remember where. I do have limited slip.

I have a steep drive and we had some decent snow. I plowed it down to packed snow. Jumped in the new JK cause I know it will make it up. Wrong. I started spinning and losing power, slid back down. Tried it several times in disbelief. My wife is now making fun of me and telling me to try her Tahoe. Now I try to creep up in 4lo. Better, much, but still not all the way up... too much ice. Something makes me remember reading that ESP is turned off in 4lo. Put it back in high and turn off esp. 90% up, scary slide back down. Give up. Jump in Tahoe to prove to wife it can't do it either, and it can't. Get plow out and cut down to some gravel. 4hi, esp off, up no sweat.

Power brake test 2wd (duh). Level ground, pure ice. ESP on, foot on brake. Give it some gas, breaks loose, then putters out. ESP off, foot on brake. Give it some gas one then both rear spin together.

I know, I know, don't power brake. but it was in the name of science.

Result: Turn off ESP if you are thinking you might get stuck, in whatever conditions. This is made for while you are still going. Sometimes you just need wheel speed.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwilkie
There were a couple of posts implying that there are two separate systems, but from what I can read in the manual they are the same.
The brake "limited slip" is one function of the TCS.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks nmjk, I will be driving my JK up at Lake Tahoe to go skiing and the info on the ice is very helpful. I had seen many a steep driveway that is very icy and tuff to get up. Knowing to turn off the ESP is great info.

My TJ had the LSD and it was great. In the summer, on dry ground, it would go anywhere....okay maybe not everywhere...but it was definitely a help!

I guess the bottom line is to be carefull on icy slippery surfaces.

Thanks

Marc
2dr Sahara
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure how the market for the JK's is going to shake out but up until now there have been few lockers available for anything other than open carriers.

If you plan on getting a Locker for your rear dif you might consider not getting the trac-loc because few "lunchbox" style lockers are available for the trac-loc carrier. If you get the open diff. You'll have more choices.

I know Powertrax has one for most trac-loc carriers but it's not really a true locker. It works WAY better than trac-loc but they're kind of spendy.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nmjk
OK, I don't know if the ESP or BAS was doing what, but here is the test I did.

I put this in another thread, but I can't remember where. I do have limited slip.

I have a steep drive and we had some decent snow. I plowed it down to packed snow. Jumped in the new JK cause I know it will make it up. Wrong. I started spinning and losing power, slid back down. Tried it several times in disbelief. My wife is now making fun of me and telling me to try her Tahoe. Now I try to creep up in 4lo. Better, much, but still not all the way up... too much ice. Something makes me remember reading that ESP is turned off in 4lo. Put it back in high and turn off esp. 90% up, scary slide back down. Give up. Jump in Tahoe to prove to wife it can't do it either, and it can't. Get plow out and cut down to some gravel. 4hi, esp off, up no sweat.

Power brake test 2wd (duh). Level ground, pure ice. ESP on, foot on brake. Give it some gas, breaks loose, then putters out. ESP off, foot on brake. Give it some gas one then both rear spin together.

I know, I know, don't power brake. but it was in the name of science.

Result: Turn off ESP if you are thinking you might get stuck, in whatever conditions. This is made for while you are still going. Sometimes you just need wheel speed.
This is what makes me think that turning off the ESP disables the BLSD. I have much better offroad performance when fully disabling the ESP (holding down the button vs simply pressing & releasing)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shredX
This is what makes me think that turning off the ESP disables the BLSD. I have much better offroad performance when fully disabling the ESP (holding down the button vs simply pressing & releasing)
No, turning off the "ESP" doesn't turn off "BLD" Brake Lock Diff ...pretty good info below:
http://cgcomm.daimlerchrysler.com/do...ase&docId=5541
Available for the first time with Jeep Wrangler models are Brake Lock Differentials (BLDs), which are incorporated into the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) algorithm. BLDs apply braking force to an axle's spinning wheel in order to provide an equal amount of torque to each wheel and deliver greater traction for rock-crawling over severe off-road terrain. A separate set of BLD calibrations is designed for off-road operation and automatically activates when driving in 4 Low.
Electronic Stability Program
For the first time in a Wrangler, the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited come standard with Chrysler Group's Electronic Stability Program (ESP) – providing significant benefits in accident-avoidance driving situations. ESP helps the driver maintain vehicle directional stability by applying selective braking and engine control, within the limits of available traction, to maintain the vehicle's intended course. Jeep Wrangler's ESP system includes Hydraulic Brake Assist, Traction Control, Brake Lock Differentials and Electronic Roll Mitigation.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler's ESP system provides three modes: “full on,” “full off” and “partial on,” with the default mode as “full on” with each engine start. The benefits of ESP's three modes are as follows:

ESP MODE BENEFIT

ON Applies selective braking and engine control to maintain the vehicle's intended course. Full-time ERM and Traction Control are available.

PARTIAL Traction Control is deactivated and ESP operates at a highe rthreshold. Full-time ERM and Brake Lock Differentials are available.

FULL OFF ESP and ERM are turned off. Brake Lock Differentials are available. Ideal for off-road activities where wheel lock-up is desirable.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, that is great info! Next storm I am going to do some more testing. I have the steep part of the drive clear now. I like to feel how things work on top of knowing the logic.

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmjk
Thanks, that is great info! Next storm I am going to do some more testing. I have the steep part of the drive clear now. I like to feel how things work on top of knowing the logic.

Thanks again!
Ya, that's a good idea, and if you watch "2K2WRANGLER'S" Vid's very closely, you'll see all 4 tire's spinning in the mud. I feel this (BLD) system tries it's very best to equal out traction to all 4 wheels at all time's. Now not a locker, but the next best thing. Now to me, that's exactly what I want when in the nast SH%$.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip