Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its any help, Im running a Yaesu HT in my Jeep with a outside antenna and it seems to do fairly well for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sephlaire
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but searching has not been my friend with 'CB' being such a short word.

I have read a few articles about HAM vs CB and some highlighted the solar cycle and other reasons that a HAM radio might be a better investment. All of the people I ride with have CBs right now but if I'm going to buy 1 radio to install in my Jeep, I would prefer to get licensed and purchase a HAM which leads me to my main question in the title...

If I buy a HAM radio, can I still talk with people that use a CB if they are within proper range or are the frequencies used by each type completely different?
I have a galaxy DX99V that operates between 25 and 32MHZ (CB is from 26.965 to 27.405 I think) and I think what the issue is, is that the FCC limits transmit power to 4watts on CB and much higher on HAM. So as long as you keep it under 4 you should be fine. Be responsible and you shouldnt have an issue.

I would imagine its more of an issue for a CB user to be on HAM band unlicensed than for a HAM licensed operater to be on CB as long as you follow the rules.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by janderson2k
I have a galaxy DX99V that operates between 25 and 32MHZ (CB is from 26.965 to 27.405 I think) and I think what the issue is, is that the FCC limits transmit power to 4watts on CB and much higher on HAM. So as long as you keep it under 4 you should be fine. Be responsible and you shouldnt have an issue.

I would imagine its more of an issue for a CB user to be on HAM band unlicensed than for a HAM licensed operater to be on CB as long as you follow the rules.
Well you would think that would be the case. But unfortunately it's not. An example of this that really boggles my mind is.... When it comes to running an amplifier, HAM radio ops ARE REQUIRED to only run the minimum amount of power to make the qso. Meaning, if you can run 1500 watts legally, they still want you to only use say 5, 50 or 100, if you can make the contact and communicate easily. So they are TRUSTING us to not run the extra power. But for some reason they don't trust us enough to drop the power down to 4 watts and use the radio on the CB freqs. So regardless, EVEN if you turn down the power on a HAM radio, the operator still cannot legally transmit on the CB freqs. Of course some HAM radios won't even go below 5 watts.

And yes, it is more of a problem for CBers to talk on the HAM bands. Usually this is because HAM ops don't have the least bit of desire, like myself, to talk on the CB freqs. Of course there's always the tool HAM op that does get on there with 3k watts so he can be the "Big Dog" for awhile. Believe it or not there are a few of them. But for the most part HAM ops monitor themselves, so if another HAM happens to catch somebody doing this, they can easily get the FCC involved, get the evidence, and yank the guys license and sometimes take the guys gear. It does happen more often than you'd think.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by janderson2k

I just found this link that you might want to look at.... http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=106156
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by donnie
If its any help, Im running a Yaesu HT in my Jeep with a outside antenna and it seems to do fairly well for me.
I did the same thing with an old, OLD (rotary dial) Kenwood HT. But....I bought a homebrew 25w VHF amp with it too. It worked really well.

Quick Reply: Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?