Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Add remote usb port to 2011 RES radio?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add remote usb port to 2011 RES radio?

Guys-

I had to pick between a few available Jeeps available locally, as I didn't have time to wait for a custom order. I really wanted to get a factory radio with the USB port available for listening to MP3 files off a flash drive or iPod. But, the one I ended up with did not have that option. I have the RES head unit.

A different 2011 had what looked like an identical head unit (didn't get the code), but included a remote USB port in the center console.

My first question - do the units with the remote USB port allow you to play MP3 files directly from a USB flash drive or iPod?

Second question - is it possible to add the remote USB port to the RES head unit. Anybody have part numbers?

Thanks in advance,
Jared
Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can play music off of usb drives or ipods, (some iphones) however, I am having a minor problem with playback off of ipods where it skips at the beginning of songs. I have the factory RES radio with the usb plug in my center console. I checked mopar's website as well as just for jeeps and they dont sell the usb interface, but i dont see why you wouldnt be able to find it and install it since it is harnessed into wherever the disc/aux gets harnessed into on the back of the unit.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Good to hear your RES head unit will do what I need. Now I just need to find some part numbers and get to it.

I'm not crazy about the placement of the factory remote USB port. It looks like it would be easy to bump hard while moving objects in and out of the center console. Maybe I can find a little better place for it while I'm at it.

Jared
Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope I can post this. . .

Here is a link to PDF installation instructions of the MOPAR "Universal Consumer Interface" Harness.

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6861099.pdf

You will need the Uconnect module to install but it looks like it is the remote USB cable you are looking for.

The part number stated is: 82212160

I am pretty sure this is a new part, I have the IPOD cable and it only has the Ipod connector but this one has the USB connection.

Quick Reply: Add remote usb port to 2011 RES radio?