Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Radiator Drain

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Drain

How the hell do you get fluid to drain from the radiator drain. I have turned the knob 1/4 turn clockwise and no fluid is draining out... What the f*** am I doing wrong.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhandaman
How the hell do you get fluid to drain from the radiator drain. I have turned the knob 1/4 turn clockwise and no fluid is draining out... What the f*** am I doing wrong.
With a cool engine, I've always found it easier to just loosen the lower radiator hose and slip it off. I've had issues in the past with drain cocks becoming clogged while draining, cross-threaded while re-inserting, or o-rings walking off. Taking the lower hose off just does the job faster.

If you're determined to get the drain cock open, hopefully someone else will have some sage wisdom on opening it properly without damaging the radiator or the drain cock.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you open the cap so the fluid can flow without creating vacuum?

You may have some grit built up blocking the drain. Maybe poke a zip tie in.

BTW, anyone know the direction of flow of the coolant when engine is running? is it still in at the top of the radiator and out at the bottom?

Last edited by Jiblet; 03-31-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I just replaced my water pump at 85K and the removal of the lower hose worked best for me.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing those drains have ever done for me is leak once touched. I take off the lower hose after I siphon out what I can from the top.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply's... I honestly believe it would be easier to shoot a hole in the radiator and patch that then to actually drain it using the drain plug. First of all no human hand can reach the plug knob so I had to use a pair of needle nose plyers and contort my hand to try to turn it. This took about 15 minutes. Then, once I got it turned... nothing happenend, so I tried running a piece of wire up there to no avail. The only way to really reach the plug is to remove the bumper. So, let me congradulate the engineers and designers at Daimer Chrysler for their excellent design. Now, stick it up your arse.

I pulled the hose and drained it that way. What crap!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bump......

Originally Posted by Jiblet
BTW, anyone know the direction of flow of the coolant when engine is running? is it still in at the top of the radiator and out at the bottom?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
bump......
Bump again.
Refilling coolant after lower manifold gasket change.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Same issue here, what's the point of the damn thing if it won't drain? Turning, pulling out, wire up the hole, NOTHING WORKS!!! Guess I have to try the hose. Such a simple process made impossible... Wish I had a garage....and maybe even a paved driveway...
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have to twist and pull it out at the same time. i got mine to drain but it just pissed all over. the guy who decided on that drain design should be shot in the d.

Quick Reply: Radiator Drain