Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2wd to 4wd conversion

Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no ECM flash needed... unless maybe you need the 4wd light to come on.. i know someone that did the conversion .. no issues.. no problems with emission etc... but i understand what you are saying
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking of how someone would know if it's illegal or not, and I thought the dealers when you trade it in would know. They would check the VIN and see it was supposed to be a 2wd. But then I remember when I worked for a dealer years ago, that they took cars in on trade that were blatantly modified, and they never fixed them or told the person buying it that it was modified. I'm talking stuff like cutting the cats out and hollowing them out or other obvious emissions changes. I believe that dealers are not supposed to sell a car with the emissions tampered with, but this one still did. We even had a guy that bought an F body and failed the emissions test and we had to fix it after he called the state and complained. I don't know if they did it as a goodwill gesture or if it was to avoid litigation or avoid a problem with the state, but they did it. And I will tell you dealers don't put money into something that they don't have to.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blockrockin
no ECM flash needed... unless maybe you need the 4wd light to come on.. i know someone that did the conversion .. no issues.. no problems with emission etc... but i understand what you are saying
Just so we're clear, there's a difference between what works and what's legal to the EPA. An ECM flash would probably be needed to keep it legal it the eyes of the law (EPA), but not needed to allow it to function.

And again, I'm not an expert on this, just my opinion based on the state EPA seminars I've attended.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just do it, and enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Hey what u in for? Murder..., you, Converting my 2wd jeep to 4wd. Got ten years...

Originally Posted by Shameless_Girl
I am curious to hear everyones input on this... before I traded my 07 JKU Sahara in.. me and my buddy at the dealership were tossing around ideas for me to still have fun with their jeep crew.. my 07 was a 2wd and he asked all the mechanics in the service dept how much it would be to turn my jeep into a 4x4 and they all said it is illegal to take a 2wd vehicle and turn it in to 4wd
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Stock Rubicon 09 Axles front and back as well as Drive shafts if your interested. PM me or call (818) 425-4282. (they ahve about 17000 miles on them). I highly dougt it is illegal to convert from 2wd to 4wd. your not tampering with emissions or anything.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The swap is easy. The parts Can be bought off craigs list and installed at home with normal tools.
The following users liked this post:
Primate (09-21-2018)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dac71
Hey what u in for? Murder..., you, Converting my 2wd jeep to 4wd. Got ten years...
Lol that's funny/\/\/\/\
Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Revitalising an old thread

Was this ever completed. I am in the process now of acquiring the parts needed. I have an 07 JK umlimited RWD, and have purchased the driveshafts and front axle from a 2010 JK Unlimited Sport. I am interested to see what else you needed to complete the conversion. Do I need an NP241 or NV241 Transfer case? I am going for a stock conversion and not interested in high dollar aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd conversion