Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2wd to 4wd conversion

Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2wd to 4wd conversion

Hello everyone,
My wife currently drives a 2007 Sahara 2wd 4 door. I am wondering how difficult (and expensive) it would be to convert it to a 4wd. I found a webpage that explains how to do it (http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...ion/index.html) but I am wondering if it is worth doing. My thoughts are I can build my 4wd with any components I choose instead of settling for the stock ones if I was to trade it in for a new one.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Jeep 2.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	145331  
The following users liked this post:
Joel Maggi (05-05-2021)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious to hear everyones input on this... before I traded my 07 JKU Sahara in.. me and my buddy at the dealership were tossing around ideas for me to still have fun with their jeep crew.. my 07 was a 2wd and he asked all the mechanics in the service dept how much it would be to turn my jeep into a 4x4 and they all said it is illegal to take a 2wd vehicle and turn it in to 4wd
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Post Ministry of Truth

Originally Posted by Shameless_Girl
I am curious to hear everyones input on this... before I traded my 07 JKU Sahara in.. me and my buddy at the dealership were tossing around ideas for me to still have fun with their jeep crew.. my 07 was a 2wd and he asked all the mechanics in the service dept how much it would be to turn my jeep into a 4x4 and they all said it is illegal to take a 2wd vehicle and turn it in to 4wd
And what cave are they living in? Where are they getting their info from?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's like saying it's illegal to do an engine swap! I realize the VIN code would no longer match up but who cares. Anyway, I know it would be fairly expensive but not near as much as buying a new Jeep and modding it. I mean, you've already got 8/10ths of the thing paid for.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I was always told if you have to ask how much it is, it's probably too much...LOL!

I would think you would be better off trading and getting a 4WD. If you want to upgrade from there that's another story. I've looked at axles a few times and just the cost of an axle alone is more than double the KBB difference between 2wd and 4wd. Then you need to add transfer case and a what not...might be a fun project, but I don't think I'd do it to my or my wifes DD. Just my $.02, but I am interested to hear if anyone has some numbers.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just sent an e-mail to Off Road Evolution. They are the ones who did the conversion in the article. It looks like they went top of the line with all the components. I don't think I would need an Atlas 4spd but who knows. I'll let you know if they respond with some figures. In the meantime, anyone else with opinions on the matter...Fire away!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This was posted a while back. The thread is no longer available, but it may help. And there have been many other threads asking the same thing, so a quick search may help things along.

Let me jump in and say I just did a conversion this weekend. With all the troubles Chrysler was having and the economy I was able to a steal of a deal on 4x2 09 Unlimited X so I went for it knowing I would do the conversion. In all honesty it was a very easy thing to do. I have a close friend who works in the parts department at the Jeep dealership so I was able to get all my parts at cost. I went ahead and swapped in the Rubicon rear axle assembly as well.

Here is what I did and what you will need:

I got the front rubicon axle assembly (D44) without axle shafts, steering knuckle, or anything. Basically, it was the differential and empty axles tubes only.

I got the rear rubicon axle assembly (D44) the same way, just the diff and axle tubes.

I ordered chromoly axle shafts for the front and rear from Northridge.

Everything from the front and rear axles on the 2wd transferred right over. The brakes, hubs, steering knuckle, etc.

You will need to wire your elockers on your own and I just bought some of the nice looking ARB style switches and wired them up inside.

You will need a couple axle nuts for the front axle shafts since your 2wd didnt have any.

You'll also need the 4wd tailhousing or adapter as Jeep calls it. It replaces the 2wd housing.

You'll also need the 4wd tailshaft (actually its a spud shaft) and it just slides right on the output shaft of the transmission.

You'll need new front and rear driveshafts. I got the coast driveline shafts from Northridge.

You'l obviously need a transfer case. I chose to go with the Rocktrac and I intend to add the Rubicrawler soon.

You'll need the transfer case shift cable and shifter for inside the cab. You'll also need the 4wd bezel for your center console so the shifter will fit through and everything will look stock.

You'll need transmission fluid because you'll lose a lot when you pull the 2wd housing and of course you'll need gear oil for the new differential.

I also installed the teraflex frame brace and draglink flip kit, JKS quick disconnects, JKS rear endlinks, JKS ACOS, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, JKS rear trackbar bracket, and EVO KING shocks.

It took me three full days to do the conversion and install all the other goodies. The total cost of JUST the parts from MOPAR (axle assemblies, 4wd adapter, t-case, spud shaft, tcase shifter and cable, console bezel, and axle nuts was 5K. I bought the Jeep new for 17K and by the time I'm all done I will have about 9K into it total so I have a 26K Jeep thats way beefier than a Rubicon that would have cost me about the same.

Yes it was a lot of work but I had fun with it I can help with part numbers and installation if you need any. Feel free to ask questions.
The following users liked this post:
Joel Maggi (05-05-2021)
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for. 5 to 7 grand is not bad when you consider the difference is about 10 grand from the factory. And you get to do the job yourself with better components.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

It sounds like a lot of work, but it would be fun if you have the right tools and a well equipped garage. I would wonder what resale value would be on it. I plan on keeping my Jeep much longer than I normally keep a car, but I'd hate to invest all that money if you won't get it back when you sell it. Just a thought...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

i did it. Its not that bad on cost if you can do all the labor yourself. If you just simply want to convert it with stock parts, not that difficult to find axles, t-cases on this forum(it where I got mine). You will have to buy some misc parts from mopar. The tailshaft on the tranny's are different so they have to be swapped, also the shifter linkage etc. Everything bolts right up though once you get all the pieces. I did the whole process over a month but only about 15-20 hrs of labor( I had access to an fully stocked garage with a lift which made it much nicer). Good Luck

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd conversion