Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cruise control and brakes stiffness

Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control and brakes stiffness

Howdy!
I noticed that when I engage the cruise control for more than 5 minutes the brake pedal becomes very stiff. That is, it is harder to push the first time.
Then, past about 1in or so it becomes smooth again, that is has the normal stiffness. If I break after that it is normal again.
However, if I engage cruise again it becomes stiff again after a while.
Happens a lot on highway.

Jeep is a 2007 Sahara 4dr, about 58k miles, auto.

Is this normal?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you drinking? Haha jk. Seriously, I can't see how the cruise would stiffen your pedal. Take it in for a free brake inspection at a brake shop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
Were you drinking? Haha jk. Seriously, I can't see how the cruise would stiffen your pedal. Take it in for a free brake inspection at a brake shop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It is weird indeed. I bought this Jeep about a month ago and dealer said everything was inspected, mostly safety stuff like brakes because of their liability.

So, this is not normal on Jeeps and I should take it back there?

Only happens when I engage cruise control. Normal street drive never shows this behavior. And I have not noticed it on highways if I do not engage the cruise control.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
It is weird indeed. I bought this Jeep about a month ago and dealer said everything was inspected, mostly safety stuff like brakes because of their liability.

So, this is not normal on Jeeps and I should take it back there?

Only happens when I engage cruise control. Normal street drive never shows this behavior. And I have not noticed it on highways if I do not engage the cruise control.
It's not normal. Take it to where you bought it and let them actually see what's happening.

Sounds like a computer or control valve problem.

Quick Reply: Cruise control and brakes stiffness