Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring a winch

Old 05-07-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring a winch

Ive got a superwinch winch. Its a 15000 lb winch. Worm drive. I had it on my yj a lonh time ago. Now all I have is the winch without relay box or any wiring. The wich is old but bulletproof. Tried superwinch butheywerd no help.
What I need to know is how to wire up the winch motor to operate on a two way switch. I know ill need relays to switch the power back and forth but im not really sure how to wite them together.
The motor has 3 terminals on it. I assume two power and on common gound or vise versa.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct, you have common and the others are in and out. Just have to pull out some cable and then hit one of the hot wires with 12v to see which way it goes and then you have it. Will have to have something like starter solenoids for the power when you wire it up, not a normal light relay.

Quick Reply: Wiring a winch