Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valkyrie1911

Still, I am protected everywhere in the state of Ohio for suit, if my actions are deemed as self-defense.

"The following however is applicable everywhere in Ohio.

A person is barred from recovering money (suing) if their injury arises from their criminal behavior, including injuries sustained by acts of the intended victim. If you injure an innocent bystander (hit by a stray bullet) you may be ordered to pay damages to that person.

Sec 2307.60 (B) (2) Recovery on a claim for relief in a tort action is barred to any person or the person's legal representative if the any of the following apply:

Sec 2307.60 (B) (2) (c) The person suffered the injury or loss for which relief is claimed in the tort action as a proximate result of the victim of conduct that, if prosecuted, would constitute a felony, a misdemeanor that is an offense of violence, an attempt to commit a felony, or an attempt to commit a misdemeanor that is an offense of violence acting against the person in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of the victim's residence, regardless of whether the person has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or has been charged with committing the felony, the misdemeanor, or the attempt to commit the felony or misdemeanor. Division (B)(2)(c) of this section does not apply if the person who suffered the injury or loss, at the time of the victim's act of self-defense, defense of another, or defense of residence, was an innocent bystander who had no connection with the underlying conduct that prompted the victim's exercise of self-defense, defense of another, or defense of residence."
Again, in VA, and in most concealed carry states, the law states (way too long to cut and paste in the whole law) you have to prove deadly force was required because your life was threatened of being taken. Not in danger, but unarguably threatened. Meaning, you can't just draw your weapon and use it because someone comes at you with a tennis racket! Sure, you can act in self-defense but you can't necessarily draw your weapon. Thats the difference. We're exempt here as well from any liability or suit if the pursuer is injured/killed, BUT, again, you must prove deadly force was required. Seems after reading the Ohio CC laws online they don't explicitly discern this. Hmmm, I'd move there because of that, but VA is an open carry state and there's nothing better!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Erichyeti
Again, in VA, and in most concealed carry states, the law states (way too long to cut and paste in the whole law) you have to prove deadly force was required because your life was threatened of being taken. Not in danger, but unarguably threatened. Meaning, you can't just draw your weapon and use it because someone comes at you with a tennis racket! Sure, you can act in self-defense but you can't necessarily draw your weapon. Thats the difference. We're exempt here as well from any liability or suit if the pursuer is injured/killed, BUT, again, you must prove deadly force was required. Seems after reading the Ohio CC laws online they don't explicitly discern this. Hmmm, I'd move there because of that, but VA is an open carry state and there's nothing better!
No open carry in Tx but just try and steal a car out of a front yard. You'd be dead and everyone is OK w/deadly force. *think* your life is in danger and you're GTG here. Be prepared to live w/it in your heart and sole.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Erichyeti
Well I can't shoot someone if they come at me with a tennis racket either. But if they have knife, gun, ballbat, or overwhelming numbers, those are considered lethal situations where I can use my gun. I practice Krav Maga for everything else. We can OC too, but I haven't tried it. Prefer CC.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

PS90 with 100 round in the Rubi and Emerson super Karambit. Kimber when concealed is more appropriate
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

FNH Five Seven. I live in Ca so only 10 round mags. Would never want to be in a situation where i can't protect my wife and kids. when ever we go camping or wheeling.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

As my signature says - Glock 30 .45 ACP.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

For those that carry handguns while wheeling. What is the best way to carry so that it is not in the way when wheeling but it is still quick/easy access to the weapon if needed? Shoulder? Belt? Mount in Jeep? Or is it just personal preference?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always! Nothing but GLOCK 45s, any of the three models will do. 21, 30, or 36.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I Carry!

I carry a Rugger LCR 357mag with me at all times better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HOTTJEEP
I carry a Rugger LCR 357mag with me at all times better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it in my opinion.
Many have that opinion around here.......and that's a good thing...!!! Welcome to the forum...

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?