Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's not "necessary". But why not have the piece of mind of knowing you have a weapon if/when something hits the fan? A person is much safer carrying a firearm or weapon than they are unarmed. Assuming the person is trained with the weapon and is not an idiot.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AJMBLAZER
I keep a pistol in my glove box and will have my CPL this year so then I always will have one on me or close.

Lots of kooks out there. Friend of my dad's (who by no means looks "I'm meek and defenseless, take advantage of me") was out in Arizona with his wife and decided to go hiking in the desert. Several miles down a hiking path they ran into a "hippie looking dude" (his description) who talked to them friendly enough for a while but when they figured out he was a bit off and definitely a vagrant living out there they said good bye and walked away.
Only problem was hippie dude decided he didn't want to leave them alone and kept following them, getting more and more agitated as the minutes went on and they increased pace.
Dad's friend was worried and uncomfortable but finally had enough when the guy started digging around in his backpack for something very hurriedly.
He pulled his .45 and politely asked the guy to leave.

Said the guy was gone and running as fast as he could move off into the desert before he even finished his sentence.
If I am alone or with only one or two other people, I carry. For a while it was just a shotgun, now I have a pistol. I don't usually take anything when with a large group, but I like the piece of mind when I'm not close to town and by myself or with only a few others.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

I did not take time to read the entire thread, but I feel like a gun is a must when in a secluded area, be it camping, hiking, wheeling, fishing, etc. Think about the uses: Protection from animals (wild animals are WILD, stray dogs, snakes, etc.), Protection from People (drunks, angry rednecks, drug dealers, etc), can signal help in an emergency (if you fire enough rounds someone will come to check thing out), Hunting (if you were stranded you could eat something). I feel like most people see firearms as a way to hurt people, but they are a lot more useful that that. I see them as a useful tool to protect you from a wide variety of threats.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crg41890
No it's not "necessary". But why not have the piece of mind of knowing you have a weapon if/when something hits the fan? A person is much safer carrying a firearm or weapon than they are unarmed. Assuming the person is trained with the weapon and is not an idiot.
I see it as part of my emergency equipment right along with crash kit, fire bottle, shovel and extra food. And yes training is paramount !

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?