Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

What and why do you carry a weapon when off road?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got shot at one time while fishing. Some guys where shooting across sand bars and didn't see me. That pretty much did it for me. You really don't know the people you will encounter these days. It definitely better to have a gun and not need it. Then to be without one.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I carry a sigma 9mm in my jeep. It only took one time for a bunch of drunk a**holes camping in the woods to come over to my camp site and hassel me and my girlfriend. You really don't know what kind of people are out there....
Old 05-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry a weapon whenever i am not at work or where i am legally not allowed to. So what do i carry? Either a 45 or a 9mm. Why? Because i already have it with me.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi

I don't leave the house without a handfull of heat.... but then I live in TX so whatev. Offroad around some of these areas a boar may try to rape you while you tie a tow strap to a stuck z71. Plus I know a guy that stopped to render aid to a broken down motorist (he thought) and was shot dead then robbed.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 05-10-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default carry off road

It may not be a necessity but it certainly gives me peace of mind that I can defend myself should the situation present itself.

I am a firm believer in, "better to have it and not need it".

The obvious reasons that you will be wheeling in some remote area where there are wild animals and such.

The not so obvious is that there are people that would do you harm for the money you have on you or just for sport. So, you be the judge of whether it is necessary to carry on the trails.

I do and will always because at the end of the trip I plan on going home so that I can go wheel another day.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default In NV

I would carry while off road. Northern NV, has some strange people roaming around in the middle of no where. We carried one pistol one shotgun with slugs. Nothing more strange than to have someone follow you around for a few hours...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Always have a springfield 45 in the jeep, I just bring more clips on any trips. Would be nice to bring the twelve gauge but that might be a little much.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Default Used to be a geologist...

...in California, and we would be surprised periodically by either drunken a**holes out for an off-road jaunt, or some Charles Manson type wandering out of the woods, or someone doing target practice at some nearby trees. We'd just pull out a shotgun and fire one round into the air and generally the riff-raff would clear out.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Much like the previous TX poster I don't leave the house without carrying. I like having it on me for the peace of mind such as in case I run into some unfriendly fellows or even should I run across a nice snake that doesn't keep moving on (I often have my 4 & 5 year old with me).

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?