Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dry start knocking noise?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others said, wix/napa gold or amsoil are the filters of choice as far as getting ride othe the dry starts. In my case, as mentioned earlier, amsoil worked
in my case.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

I installed another Mopar Filter with a new oil change 2 days ago and soo far , it seems to not be having dry starts anymore. Maybe it is a hit and miss with these Mopar Filters. I really wanted to go with the other filters mentioned in this forum, but I already had 2 new Mopar Filters in stock and I just do not need to have my dealership give me any issues regarding my warranty. I do all of my own maintenance , when I buy my oil filters from my dealer, I have them, put my vin# on the invoice, to show more proof if needed for the paper trail if ever needed for warranrty issues.

SLIM
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joisey
lucas oil additive its as thick as honey, add 1/2 quart to every oil change.
That is what I did this time using the NEW LUCAS for newer engines. It stop the dry starts.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
....Do those that have this issue also get the real quick dummy oil light on the dash as well? ....
I have had the drain-back problem when using Mobil 1 filters. (came free with jugs of 5w-20)

I let the idiot lights cycle through before starting the engine, then watch for a very brief appearance of the red oil-can lamp.

I switched back to OEM filters and don't have the problem anymore. Even when parked facing uphill for a couple days without starting the engine. Still using Mobil 1 5w-20.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Found my fix start knocking noise

The answer for me was finding the right filter I took off my mopar filter after sitting all night hardly any oil in it must have drain back. I put in motocraft fl-400s filter that seem to do the trick Also try napa gold 1516. Filter. These seem to stop drain back and start up knock. Mopar filter is a hit or a miss on drain back. But the other filters that I listed work 100%
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I have had the drain-back problem when using Mobil 1 filters. (came free with jugs of 5w-20)

I let the idiot lights cycle through before starting the engine, then watch for a very brief appearance of the red oil-can lamp.

I switched back to OEM filters and don't have the problem anymore. Even when parked facing uphill for a couple days without starting the engine. Still using Mobil 1 5w-20.
Yeah,, That is where I am at right now, Must have been a bad Mopar Filter. The new one I installed seems to be better, maybe a different batch. I noticed the 3.8 engine really trys to break down the oil within the 6 month or 3,000 mile intervals. If there ever was a vehicle I owened that required such emphasis on early oil changes , it would be my Wrangler,,,lol Hopefully , this will keep my baby going for many years.

SLIM
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bwgas
The answer for me was finding the right filter I took off my mopar filter after sitting all night hardly any oil in it must have drain back. I put in motocraft fl-400s filter that seem to do the trick.
Yep - the Mopar filters gave me dry start knock. After reading a lot of these types of threads here, I tried the Motorcraft FL400S. Been through a number of oil changes now (I have over 90K miles on my 2007 Unlimited) and never had dry start knock with the Motorcraft filter.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
Yep - the Mopar filters gave me dry start knock. After reading a lot of these types of threads here, I tried the Motorcraft FL400S. Been through a number of oil changes now (I have over 90K miles on my 2007 Unlimited) and never had dry start knock with the Motorcraft filter.
I wonder why a certain filter works for some, and not others.
I've been using MOPAR filters with no problems.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I wonder why a certain filter works for some, and not others.
I've been using MOPAR filters with no problems.
I have too........
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Ive used several mobile1 filters with no problems, think its kinda hit or miss.

Quick Reply: Dry start knocking noise?