Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dry start knocking noise?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the filters that work specifically say they have a "Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve"

If you look at a Fram box you will see the regular orange Fram Filters and the Long life versiojn do not have the Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve but the "Tough Guard" version does.

The Napa Gold oil filters also have the Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve advertized on the box and people seem to have no problems with them.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dadgummit
It seems the filters that work specifically say they have a "Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve" ....
There was a filter comparison thread a couple years back or so and pretty much for every filter/brand that somebody swore by somebody else swore at.

There was no filter that everyone agreed worked all the time for everyone.

Its a mystery!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

UPDATE !!!!

Yeah I went against going with an aftermarket filter, nothing wrong in doing so, just never had an issue with a OEM Oil Filter.

From my recent post on here, I only changed to another new Mopar Oil Filter, just to see if it was a bad filter or not. After changing the oil filter and not even the first 2 days of sitting without use, I had the same dry start and pinging noises.

I went to Napa and bought their Gold # FIL # 1348 , installed it recently and gave the jeep a run, then for the test I let it sit for 3.5 days with no use. Well and behold, My baby started up like it would after taking it on a 100 mile trip. So far hands down, the Napa Gold Filter has proven some good results. No more of the weird dry starts and the 2-3 seconds of the engine starving for oil sound due to the Mopar Filter's ADV valve failing. Seems as if Mopar is using another manufacture for its oil filters and batteries,

I know some folks say it is a design flaw in the 3.8 , and I still agree with that , but it helps not hear that weird noise and the oil light always coming on after sitting from 2 days. What is weird is that my original oil filter from the factory gave me almost a 2 week period before doing the above symptoms. Even though the same part # as I get from my parts dept, the new filters are garbage.

Napa Gold It is. Apparently they have a way better Silicone Valve for the ADV "Anti-Drain_Valve"

Thought I would share my updated findings, I know some folks on here were upset in these dry starts and wanted to fix it to prevent them from happening. Try the Napa / Motor Craft and Amsoil, as mentioned by other members on here. Very happy with the Napa Filter so far. I will give an update to see the longest the ADV will hold on the Napa Filter for sitting a 1 - 2 week period. I use to be a OEM parts guy, but now, I will need to second guess that idea when buying parts from the dealer.

P.S.- As for the dealer trying to find fault, in which they really can't the main thing is that the mileage and time lines are followed as per manufactuer guidelines and the right weight of oil and filter type is used. The Napa Gold Filter even states that this filter will not interfere with your warranty. I do all of my own maintenace and keep an active log book and all recepts of parts and fluids dates and work done including tire rotation. Had to many bad issues with crappy dealer work, do it yourself if possible, save money and it was done correctly with use of qulaity parts and fluids. My 2 cents

At this point I could not give a rats A$$. I am keeping my jeep for many many years, and I would rather have a smooth running engine with a quality oil filter than a crappy oil filter , just to make the dealer happy. Dry starts are not normal, and if left alone, could cause pre-mature parts in the engine. Start-up is the one of the most harsh issues for an engine.

SLIM

Last edited by SLIM_SNOOPY; 06-21-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Dry start knocking noise?