Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

10 inch Sub in Cargo Tub

Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 inch Sub in Cargo Tub

This is my first post, so I am not 100% sure how to update pics. I tried an install that I had not yet see on here.

Today I was going to install the cargo cover as I had seen in one of the write ups. The real reason for the install was to protect my sub box from prying eyes and perps. Several cars had been broken into near my house. While mapping out the install I measured the cargo tub and it was approximately 1 ft^3 (slightly larger). which was perfect for my 10 inch sub. I cut some wood and enclosed the tub then placed my sub inside. Temporarily I spray painted and set on top of the carpet. In the next couple weeks I will fiber glass to make waterproof, and I will caulk around the edges to ensure it is fully sealed. I will also put dynomat inside just incase it were to vibrate. So far even with air space gaps it sounds ok, but I am hoping it will significantly improve. Once I complete the caulk and fiberglass I will have a piece of carpet that I will also fiberglass like the factory cargo cover.

Are there any thoughts, suggestions, or reasons I have not yet seen this type of install.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	163268Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	163265Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	163261Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	163262Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	163272
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

So your putting fiberglass over the top? Sounds like a good idea. One possibility nobody has don't this is because that storage tub gets soaking wet. I had to cut the carpet out. It comes up from underneath I think.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wet Cargo Area

That is why I am trying to seal the tub so water cannot get in and making the wood waterproof to prevent warping or separation of the wood. Other thoughts or watchouts?

Quick Reply: 10 inch Sub in Cargo Tub