Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Bed

Old 08-31-2022, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Custom Bed

Been threatening to pull the trigger on this for a while. 2 hours work so far and have a bed mocked up. First picture shows the arrangement of how the bed fits. Will build a lower support frame in the rear floor area and add a longitudinal joiner to keep the two halves together. A front support laerally installed will strengthen up where it sits on the seat backs. The flaps that go into where the seats are will be cut off today and will swing on piano hinges so that they lift up for seat position during driving. Frame at the rear is 7" high so will allow storage of camp stove and dishes in a flat container. Cooler/fridge will sit on top and be anchored down along with my inflatable kayack, clothes and sleeping bags etc. Phase 2 will involve a rollbar mounted set of cabinets facing rearwards for the dishes etc. This has to be finished by tomorrow as we are heading out for two days this weekend to an Outdoor Adventure Expo where they show off lots of toys and goodies.

Head rest extensions to be on piano hinge

Shows storage beneath. Split sheet running north/south

Old 08-31-2022, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Today I got most of the base done and cut the wing away in the pillow areas and got them cleaned up. One more x-member to install up front. All the pieces dismantle small enough to hang compact on the wall when not in use. All held together with nutserts in the wood and bolts.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Are you planning on just having the seats down and the bed in there permanently? What's the plan for topping the plywood with something for comfort? Eggcrate foam? Air mattress? Memory foam mattress? I did a lot of sleeping in the jeep back in the day and it was always comfortable enough. My setup is somewhat similar cept that I hinged it so I could flip that front part over the back and still use my rear seats.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have it right up to the back of the front seats with flip down head rest extensions that straddle the console. I will use a memory foam about 3" thick. The entire unit is modular and can be removed entirely in about 10 minutes. Components are bolted together. Got 71" sleeping length. Enough for us.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

My smittybilt RTT mattress is 2" I think. It was certainly not enough so I added 2" memory foam on top of that and it's a good night sleep and I don't really feel the aluminum base. I'm ~205lbs and typically a side sleeper. Have you used 3" before? If not, might error on the side of 4" memory foam just I case .
Old 09-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Good points Russ. I may end up getting a foam custom cut. Would be a med to high density foam not memory foam.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:19 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's an awesome custom bed setup in your Jeep JKU! Really impressive work, especially with the smart use of space for storage. I love how you've planned out every detail, down to the piano hinges for convenience. Also made cargo drawer and sleeping platform may b it might interest you or others here on the forum. It's all about maximizing space while keeping things practical and comfortable. I'll share some photos and details in a bit. Maybe it'll give you some more ideas or inspiration for your next phase.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yes! One has to get real inventive to both accommodate ones self and to avoid the extreme high cost of buying some of the custom setups. I am also in the process of building on a military Penman trailer (stalled for the winter) which will give me the full functionality of an Off Grid Trailer at $55K all for about $11K looks like it will come in at. Got the trailer in excellent condition (nothing needs doing except wiring changes) all for $910cdn at a military base online auction.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good - it's definitely feasible to set up a simple structure:

Rear platform with the forward folding platform on top

Both rear and forward platforms in place

Mattress in place

Sheets and duvet ready for sleeping.

When on the road the mattress is folded backwards and the forward platform slides back on top of the rear platform, under the mattress.

Quick Reply: Custom Bed