Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Determining Offset

Old 10-19-2022, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Determining Offset

Hello all - 2016 Wrangler JKU Sport

Sparing y'all the details, the dealer ended up putting what I believe are Gladiator wheels on it. I have been told they have an offset of +45. I am planning to change them and would like to push the wheel out 3 inches.

What offset should I be looking for to achieve this?

How much offset equals an inch?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Can't tell what tire size you have there. You'll most often hear us speak in terms of backspace on this forum rather than offset. The most popular size wheel, and usually the best option for a JK on up to 35" tires, is a 17x9 wheel with a 4.5" backspace (that comes out to a -12mm offset but all that changes with wheel width obviously and I don't know the width of the wheels ya go there so it's not apples to apples). Most folks aren't going below a 4.5" backspace on a 9" wide wheel unless running 37" or larger tires.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Can't tell what tire size you have there. You'll most often hear us speak in terms of backspace on this forum rather than offset. The most popular size wheel, and usually the best option for a JK on up to 35" tires, is a 17x9 wheel with a 4.5" backspace (that comes out to a -12mm offset but all that changes with wheel width obviously and I don't know the width of the wheels ya go there so it's not apples to apples). Most folks aren't going below a 4.5" backspace on a 9" wide wheel unless running 37" or larger tires.
Apologies, I should know better and not omit information.

The tire size is 315/70/17. The current rims are 8.5" width.

I am keeping the same tires but not opposed to going to a 9" width. It is my understanding the dealer put a hub centric spacer on the rears to eliminate rubbing but I don't know what size spacer. If it matters, I have a 2.5" lift.

With that additional information, would 4.5" backspace still be acceptable on either a 8.5" or 9" wheel? I'm assuming a backspace larger than 4.5" is safe but less than would present issues?
Old 10-20-2022, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Based on above you have a 6.5" BS so you would need at least a 2" spacer.
The following users liked this post:
MN.Pugsley (10-20-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

So here is what I was able to find out - the current wheels have a 6" backspace. I also determined that I have 1-1/8 " spacers on all 4 wheels.

If I am understanding this correctly, in order to move the wheels 2" further out, if I leave the spacers on, I need to find a wheel with a 4" backspace OR, if the spacers are removed, I need a wheel with a 5-1/8 backspace.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Is there anything else I need to be cognizant of given the current setup clears everything?

Quick Reply: Help Determining Offset