Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

battery light, charge system output high, and whine noise

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery light, charge system output high, and whine noise

yea! so everything was fine yesterday until I went to start the jeep. Cranked right up, my battery light came on, and I noticed a very loud whine.

The whine noise varies based upon rpm.

I used my superchips to pull a "charging system output high" code.

After some google research, I checked my battery cable and tightened the accesory wing nut. Battery light went away and after clearing the code, it no longer appears.

PROBLEM. I still have a terrible whining noise.

Had advance auto parts check the batter and alt... they say both are GOOD

Had autozone check the same and they say my Alternator is BAD

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this sound like an alternator issue?

So long as the jeep cranks and runs, could there be any problems if I do not replace the alternator right away? ie electrical issues?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

do you/ did you have a cat ??
Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Had the same thing happen to my jeep after I installed a distribution block, same code, same sound....it didn't go off when I retightened my cables back, it did however go off and everything went back to normal when I had my alternator rebuilt...blown diode:(
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jbry
Had the same thing happen to my jeep after I installed a distribution block, same code, same sound....it didn't go off when I retightened my cables back, it did however go off and everything went back to normal when I had my alternator rebuilt...blown diode:(
that was pretty much exactly what happen to me and almost word for word from the autozone guy. blown diode.

i found a replacement for 150 and change with a lifetime warrantee. I guess i should go ahead and buy it. At least i will never have to pay for another alternator after this one.

thanks man.... well kinda... lol ... and here i thought i was going to get to make a principal only payment on the jeep this month

BTW... how long did you drive around prior to fixing it?? I am wondering if I can wait for the next paycheck without damaging anything or if I should just throw it on the credit card
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

okay... alternator threw a "charging system output low" code on me now.

The good news - that annoying whining noise went away

The bad news -so did the functionality of the alternator

lol

Quick Reply: battery light, charge system output high, and whine noise