Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My jeep is possessed

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My jeep is possessed

Here is my story, if anyone has had this problem, or heard of it I would appreciate feedback.
Wife goes to start the jeep, starts up fine but cannot shift out of park (automatic), and the wipers come on.
She turns the jeep off, and starts up two more times, and the exact same thing happens. The wipers were turned off, but on start up were going like mad, and the tranny would not engage.
After the third try at getting the jeep out of the garage, she let it sit for a few min. Then on the fourth try, magic, everything normal.

Any thoughts as to what could be the source? Should I be worried?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wired
Here is my story, if anyone has had this problem, or heard of it I would appreciate feedback.
Wife goes to start the jeep, starts up fine but cannot shift out of park (automatic), and the wipers come on.
She turns the jeep off, and starts up two more times, and the exact same thing happens. The wipers were turned off, but on start up were going like mad, and the tranny would not engage.
After the third try at getting the jeep out of the garage, she let it sit for a few min. Then on the fourth try, magic, everything normal.

Any thoughts as to what could be the source? Should I be worried?
The 2010's run on a new CAN BUSS System which is linked to the OBD-II computer and others as well. It works as a diagnostic computer system, in which they all constatnt communicate with each other. the slightest spike or decrease in voltage levels or other issues will send the computers into a electrical furry

I see your JK is a 2010. I do know they 2010's are very senstive towards the condition of the vehicles battery. maybe at some point the battery " At the dealer" , etc , the battey was accidently was discharged , unlikely, but possible. The Mopar Battery on its own is nothng to brag about. I have a late 09 , and I already bought a new Sears DIE Hard Platinium Batterty, they are top notch.

I notice when i first bought my JK, When I would be at a drive - through at night, my headlights were pulsating a little,which is a indication that the battery is not charging correctly. Ever since I changed my battery that all stopped

I coulld have gone to the dealer and tried to get a new battery only due to the battery failing to quiickly. From what I hear, the cells are not matched correctly, thus the other cells in the battery are constantly trying to equalize each other, which causes the battery to fail.

I just went ahead and bought a battery that I do not have to think about anymore. Now if I any of those electrcial gremlins, I know for sure it is not the battery.

To anyone not knowing, never change a battery unless if an emergency, before a state inspection, it puts the obd-II computer back into a state where it needs to re-learn , and would not be available for a short time for inpsection, in other words you will either be rejected or fail the inspection.

The JK's need full Battery Power to operate correctly. If it was not your battery it could have been a freak thing. Next time pull the negative cable of the battery and wait a couple of minutes and re-connect. This cures some of the issues, but can haoppen again if it is an actual issue.

If not mentioned already putting the JK into Netural helps getting it started as well.

For those that got a good stock battery, count yourself lucky, mine was garbage from day one. My 2 cents.

Good-Luck !!!!!

SLIM

Last edited by SLIM_SNOOPY; 06-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

I have some weird radio, steering wheel controls, starting issues.
The dealer told me to honk the horn.
Said it would reset everything There's a recall but it hasent hit the dealers yet. Said to bring it back mid-July.
It happened again the other day so, I honked the horn. Everythings normal now.

Next time it does it try honking the horn
Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep
I have some weird radio, steering wheel controls, starting issues.
The dealer told me to honk the horn.
Said it would reset everything There's a recall but it hasent hit the dealers yet. Said to bring it back mid-July.
It happened again the other day so, I honked the horn. Everythings normal now.

Next time it does it try honking the horn
That is a new one, I heard others punching their steering wheel,,lol and fixing it. Too many electronics in a trail rated vehicle, my personal opinion.

SLIM
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info snoopy. If it happens again, I will do what you suggested with the negative lead.

Quick Reply: My jeep is possessed