Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlyMeDMG
I vote Mountain bike.
1.You will get a better workout off road.
2.It go's with the "off road person"
I like your style! Off roading in all aspects!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A really good mountain bike is a decent street bike, but a street bike is never much good in off-road conditions.

As someone said, you won't like a mountain bike that much if you ride the street a lot with others on road bikes. If you ride it on the road by yourself you might never notice. Hybrid tires on a mountain bike sometimes makes a great comprimise.

My mountain bike is a Jamis hard tail with adjustable front shocks. It has a Reynolds tube steel frame and lightweight components so it does not feel like a dog on pavement. I usta think aluminum frames were a good thing, but the feel is kinda dead compared with high quality butted steel tubing. I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds.

I would not bother with rear suspension unless you plan to do fast agressive downhills. For any other kind of riding it is just extra cost and complexity with little or no benefit. Comfort comes from muscle tone in your legs and riding style. If you coast with the crank arms parallel to the road and some weight on your legs, you won't think you need springs under your seat. (also check the seat note below)

It takes $1500 and up (and up and up) to put a decent mountain bike under your butt these days.

Speaking of butts, get yourself a Brooks leather seat. Once you have one, you will stop shopping for seats.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freewill
A really good mountain bike is a decent street bike, but a street bike is never much good in off-road conditions.

As someone said, you won't like a mountain bike that much if you ride the street a lot with others on road bikes. If you ride it on the road by yourself you might never notice. Hybrid tires on a mountain bike sometimes makes a great comprimise.

My mountain bike is a Jamis hard tail with adjustable front shocks. It has a Reynolds tube steel frame and lightweight components so it does not feel like a dog on pavement. I usta think aluminum frames were a good thing, but the feel is kinda dead compared with high quality butted steel tubing. I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds.

I would not bother with rear suspension unless you plan to do fast agressive downhills. For any other kind of riding it is just extra cost and complexity with little or no benefit. Comfort comes from muscle tone in your legs and riding style. If you coast with the crank arms parallel to the road and some weight on your legs, you won't think you need springs under your seat. (also check the seat note below)

It takes $1500 and up (and up and up) to put a decent mountain bike under your butt these days.

Speaking of butts, get yourself a Brooks leather seat. Once you have one, you will stop shopping for seats.
I was actually looking at a Jamis road bike the other day, nothing crazy, about $650and am really considering it. I have heard some really good things about Jamis and well, I like the fact that I can get it cheap and upgrade as I go. I'm thinking I will get the road bike and then getting a bad ass mountain bike! Either way I want BOTH! I just think it is easier for now to wake up and go rather than driving to the trails which are about 20 min away an then hoping on the mountain bike.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Freewill;2388234]A really good mountain bike is a decent street bike, but a street bike is never much good in off-road conditions. [QUOTE]
Agreed

[QUOTE=Freewill;2388234]
I would not bother with rear suspension unless you plan to do fast agressive downhills. For any other kind of riding it is just extra cost and complexity with little or no benefit. Comfort comes from muscle tone in your legs and riding style. If you coast with the crank arms parallel to the road and some weight on your legs, you won't think you need springs under your seat. (also check the seat note below) \
[QUOTE]
I strongly disagree. After 4 hours on a trail your back, ass and legs will thank you for the rear suspension. And if your doing fast aggresive downhills then a dh or fr bike is in order.
The only time I rode my hardtail was on smooth single track trails. But a hardtail should make you a better rider, its much less forgiving and you have to choose your lines with more precision.

[QUOTE=Freewill;2388234]
[QUOTE]
For a fully yes but decent hardtails can be had for under $1000.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

as a trek mendota owner, I would vote for a hybrid.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I mostly ride off road. But I do ride the rail trails in MD. I have a full suspension treck bike. When I hit the rail trails (asphalt) I lock the suspension so it don't bounce up and down. You could also buy a second set of tires just for on road.
But it's all in what you have in your area.
I just love the hills, dirt, sand, and rocks of a off road bike ride.
I'll hit a 7 mile trail in the woods, I will sweet my a*# off.
If I hit a rail trail, I can go 12 miles without a sweat.
A good off road trail you will be up and down on the seat. Moving left and right to doge that tree.
I love it. Almost as fun as JEEPING!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 18usc371
My vote - cyclocross bike

One set of wheels with road tires
Once set of wheels with 32-36mm knobbies for OR

I have them all - MTB Full Suspension, MTB 29er SS, MTB Hartail, Road Race, Track, and Cyclocross. The Cyclo is the one I keep coming back to.
That's what my road bike is. My friend at the bike shop set me up on that style bike since it's a bit beefier and I'm fat ass at 255lbs. Although I did end up swapping out the tires for true road skinies and it's helped immensly. If I'm riding any type of dirt, I prefer some suspension. That's just me. Not to mention the mountain bike is more comfy for leisurely rides IMO.

Either way...whatever bike you get will be good...just because you'll be out their biking.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I vote mountain bike. I have a Gary Fisher Mamba 29"er. Bike handles and ride like a dream and with its 29" tires, road riding is no big deal.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Also . . go 29

If you do go MTB - go with 29 v 26. Don't take my word on it, go to a decent shop and ride both (offroad - similar setup).

I have a Niner One9 and it convinced me on the 29 inch (stans tubes too)

But I still vote for a cyclocross rig . . . Lynskey Cooper CX to be exact . . .
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

For u 29er fans...

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=4ecwpBNSE6w

Stupid iPhone. I don't think the link worked

Quick Reply: Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?