Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fractured my scapula on a trail in June. (going WAY too fast for switchback and cut corner close)
Cleared by the doctor to ride MTB in August.
Blew a tube during MTB race, landed funny when I slid out on corner, tore my rotator cuff and damaged the still healing scapula.
Off the MTB again, can't pull with or raise my arm.......but I can rest my hand on road bars!!!!

Just finished (re-)building Cannondale Multisport 4000, took it for short ride today.

Surprised at how comfortable I was down on aero bars. I've tried them before and felt awkward/skittish.
Started with just frame & fork, scoured ebay and craiglist to bring her back to life.
Dura-Ace and 105 drivetrain, Selle saddle, Easton stem, not 'sploding Spinergy wheels
Weakest part is a crappy, skipping SRAM 951 chain from LBS. I should have read reviews first and bought proper chain for less on ebay. (hey, I was getting antsy to ride it, cut me some slack!)

So, for now, more road than MTB.
Winter will be less road again, unless I have to have surgical repair of rotator. (NOT a desirable outcome, but I can't pull back my bow for deer season)

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 09-24-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have a road bike and thought about a mountain bike. Another option is a cyclocross, but I have 0 experience with one. Some avid riders claim it's a good mix if you was one bike.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well....I've got 3 road bikes.....Pinarello FPQuattro, Klein Q Pro Carbon Team, and a Cannondale CAAD10........2 mountain bikes.....Cannondale Killer V500 and a Trek Fuel 100.......and an adult tricycle!!!! The tricycle is my favorite!! Haha
Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a giant road bike and a Santa Cruz MTb. I have way more fun on my MTb, it's like a jeep. It'll take you anywhere and you don't have to deal with the asshole cars. Taking it to moab next weekend!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

I bought a Rockhopper Comp Disc. Really enjoy, but find myself riding on pavement 95% of the time. So I've been wanting a road bike Specialized Secteur or Allez. But still want a few Jeep parts first....Two expensive hobbies
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the thread is old, but can't help but add a few cents in. There are some sweet bikes here. Cool to see a lot of Jeepers share the same hobbies

Aside from the Jeep and dirtbiking, cycling is another favorite hobby. Currently have three bikes: a heavy 42-lb freeride "idiot" bike, a light but 12 year old Trek XC racer, and a lower-end Lemond road bike.

They all have their pluses and minuses. The freeride bike is great if I just want to bomb down trails and run over everything in sight. Its like a dirtbike with pedals. The Trek XC bike is a great all around bike. I have literally not had to replace anything but tubes and brake pads on that bike - the thing is bulletproof. The roadbike has been my bike of choice this last year. Its super light in comparison to the other bikes, and love how fast it is.

One thing I noticed -- if I spend considerable time training on the road bike, my cross-country biking improves greatly. Where I mountain bike, you generally only have to pedal in bursts - to climb hills for instance. You're allowed to get a little lazy. After being on the roadbike where you're mainly grinding against the wind mile after mile, you'll feel like superman in the woods.

If I had to have one bike, I'd get a light hardtail XC mountain bike, and look into some "hybrid" style tires for when you know you'll be on the road a lot.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

I'd go with a Surly Crosscheck! Excellent cyclocross bike, I love mine and prefer it over my
Road bikes and my mountain bikes.

Quick Reply: Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?