Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?

I am torn between getting a mountain bike or a road bike and I thought maybe I could get some ideas as to which to go with.

Which do you prefer and why....... I am hoping this helps me out a bit.

THANKS!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

I have 2 trek hybrids and they are a great combination of both road and mountain bikes. Great for pavement riding and mild-medium off roading.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Well I guess it more depends where you're going to ride... and if you like lycra

I love riding through the woods as opposed to dealing with traffic... I vote Mtn Bike
Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy answer both...

Practical answer where will you ride most of the time? If you are going to be on the road most of the time a road bike is the way to go. You will HATE the big wheels of the mountain bike especially if you are trying to keep up with friends on a road bike.

A mountain bike is good if you are going to be casually riding or riding where you take your Jeep.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on what you want to do. A Mountain bike on the road for long trips is awful. A road bike can not go off road at all. Road bikes glide so much easier on the road it is a pleasure to ride. I personally have a Mountain bike that has hybrid tires mostly road and light off road. That works the best for me since I am not a mountain rider at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started with a mountainbike (Specializes Rockhopper) and that's still what I prefer. But it depends what you want to do. I bought mine for riding in the trails but found I was always riding by myself and finding it a pain to wash my bike after every ride. My wife peferred smooth bike paths. Now with two little kiddos I tow a trek go bug trailer with themin it. I had to put a set of Alicia on as the knobbies were brutal on the pavement. Still wanting to exercise and have minimal cleanup I picked up a Specialized road bike. I know use that to get out and exercise. No cleanup, quick and easy. It really depends on what you want to do. But overall imo a mountainbike is more versatile and comfortable.

In my old F150...have a hitch rack now for the Jeep.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Last edited by Koko; 07-06-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics and the replies! I should have mentioned that I prefer both and I guess the question really should be which to get first. I do have trails by my house and I am looking to ride every morning before work. It is probably easier to just hop on a road bike and go for a ride every morning than to drive to the trails and then hop on the mountain bike. Either way, I am hoping to eventually have both so the fun never ends.

Keep the thread going.... I would love to see what everyone is riding and your opinions on both.

Thanks again!

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Well...given that you DO ride on some trails, I'd say that you'll want to get the mountain bike first. Because, as others have said, you can take a mountain bike on pavement (even though it gets annoying after a long while) you can't really take a road bike off-road.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I weigh 240 pounds and feel that mountain bikes work better for me. I am sure a road bike would work for me, I just don't trust the skinny rims/tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 107 (Small).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	178800  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for both.

I just got back into biking last year after about a 10 year hiatus. I purchased a mountain bike first (Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29r) then a road bike a month later (Trek 2.3). However, I've put way more miles/hours on the road bike. I find it much easier to just leave from the house when I have time to ride.

Edit to respond to red wings: I'm currently 260 and have not had any problems with the road bike wheels and tires. Started at ~290 when I bought it. I actualy broke a spoke on the mountain bike rim...while riding on the road (but while using a trail-a-bike). I think a lot depends on the quality of the rims and build rather than the size. Just my $.02.

Last edited by MTG; 07-06-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Mountain Bike.....or Road Bike?