Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoD / winch install question - in progress

Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoD / winch install question - in progress

Hello everyone. While reading up on all of the posts related to LoD bumpers, wiring, and winches, I could have sworn I saw a post or two where some of you said you were able to drop the winch in after mounting the front bumper. I've looked this evening and can't find it. Perhaps I'm being too specific. However, because I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, allow me to ask for opinions....

I have my OEM front bumper off (thanks to many of you here on the forum, I simply followed your instructions and suggestions- took about 45 minutes) and am ready to install the bumper, fog lights and winch.

I have the LoD Signature Series Mid-Width Front bumper and the Recon 10,500 lb winch. I also have the fog lights to deal with. In the interest of ease of installation, does anyone know if 1) I can install the winch after installing the bumper? 2) if I did install the winch after the bumper was on, how tough would it be to get the fog lights in?

I think the proper way for me to do this is 1) put fog lights into bumper, 2) attach winch to bumper, 3) put bumper on jeep, and 4) tighten everything up once the bumper is on.

Any suggestions before I tackle this would be appreciated. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Kelly
Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to put my winch on after the bumper without any problems. If you got the skidplate, install it after you install the winch and you should be good to go. You may need to remove your grille for clearance when dropping in the winch.

Before winch:

After winch:
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my LoD front bumper a couple weeks ago. If you are going to install your winch later I would do it in this order.

1. Bumper
2. Fog Lights
3. Winch

The fog lights mounting holes will be hard to reach if you install them after your winch.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-read that. I have a shorty. The fog lights are closer in.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installed lod mid, then fogs, and last the winch (warn 9k). Didnt even need to remove grill (draped towel over to avoid scratches). My biggest challenge was that winch was not cenetered! Had to drill new holes to move winch over otherwise my line would be misaligned to the rollers.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lod Full width on mine. Installed the Fogs before mounting the bumper. Mounted bumper. Sorted out the fog wire harness extensions and then mounted the winch and then skid plate. Front grill went back on last.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the responses everyone. Great information. Real quick, just so I know I'm on the right track, when you put the fog lights in this bumper, they will NOT sit flush when you're looking at them from the front correct? I put them in, but when I looked at the "finished product" (the fog lights at least) they seem to sit back in the fog light holes just a little. This is normal right (for anyone with this set up). Enjoy your weekend everyone and thanks again for the help!

Kelly
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kboone165
Thank you for the responses everyone. Great information. Real quick, just so I know I'm on the right track, when you put the fog lights in this bumper, they will NOT sit flush when you're looking at them from the front correct? I put them in, but when I looked at the "finished product" (the fog lights at least) they seem to sit back in the fog light holes just a little. This is normal right (for anyone with this set up). Enjoy your weekend everyone and thanks again for the help!

Kelly
Did u drill out the holes a bit on the fogs? This will help u slide them on as far as they will go.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I did drill the holes out just a bit based on some of the suggestions here on the forum. They look good and the fog light brackets are flush on the backside but I just wanted to be sure. Today I'll (crossed fingers) finish with the installation after a quick trip to the hardware store for some lock washers for this beast. Pictures to follow...Enjoy your weekend everyone.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

HEllo
Correct me if i'm roung. I have read that we need a body lift before installing the winch.
Is it true?

Quick Reply: LoD / winch install question - in progress