Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also curious with helping people on the streets! these Utah snow storms tons get stuck going skiing/boarding up the canyon and stuff
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Mat
JK Newbie

Few years ago I did ice rally with my Tiburon... ditched myself a couple times in hugo snow banks. Tow vehicule got me out at least a dozen times with no damage. But they were also on ice/snow, I would say be cautious if you are on pavement and they are in the snow, as to be smooth and everything should be OK.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street use tow truck drivers have these hooks that go into the slots in the frame. I made my own for doing that back when I had my big 4x4 dodge cummins and was doing snow rescues. If you can get one of those or make one that is the way to do it. Don't recommend attaching to the axle, there are wires and lines on there that can be broken and then they will want you to pay for it. If there wasn't a clear cut place to attach to I used to tell them to hook up themselves so if something got broke they did it to themselves, twice.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

A lot of cars now are made with a small (2"x2") removable plastic square in the bumpers. If you pop them out there's a threaded hole that a tow hook will screw into. The tow hook should be with the cars spare tire crap.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

When I lived up north of the mason Dixon line I always pulled frame to frame. Never off anything else. The frame is what can handle the strain. The axles will separate. I usually pulled off if frame hooks or my tow hitch. Never had an issue.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best to let them hook up, either way I would not leave someone stranded out in the woods. Don't let them hook to an axle though.

But more and more on the roads every winter, I see people stuck in stuff that they never should have been out in. They buy these little Prius type things with 13 inch tires to get 40 mpg, then think they can live off the main roads in the country in MI winters.

These are the same people who see you coming in a Jeep, and think you should move out of both tracks in the center of the unplowed road to the very edge (risking a 5 foot ditch that you cannot see) so they can have both tracks and not get stuck.

Anyway, I am too old to be out there freezing my ass off digging them out, trying not to break their cute little car in half. I figure they can afford a tow truck with some of their "green" fuel savings.

Maybe Al Gore will foot the bill.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-04-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 Yankee,

If they are stuck, a kid better be in the car or a grandma.

Other than that, sol

On the trail, you gotta at least give em a ride somewhere. But preparation will usually give someone an upper hand in the event of the unexpected. Some of the time.

Last edited by sa29560; 09-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Every time I have pulled people out I made it very clear that any damage done to their vehicle is their problem not mine.

I also strongly agree to having the person (Victim of Ditch kissing) hook up their own vehicle.

also I never pull anyone out with chains. tow strap or winch ok but chains can bend YOUR frame.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

I typically carry one of the recovery hitches (pictured below) in my rig for myself, as well as a spare to ensure I have a proper recovery point for trucks/suv's with a 2" Receiver. For the price of under $30 for the spare it gives me the peace of mind that I will have a proper tug-worthy spot to recover a snow-lodged truck in winter. When this isnt suitable for the application, our local tow-truck company gave me a tow-bridle with RTJ frame slot hooks, after the second time they called me to recover one of their trucks they kinda owed me hahahaha.

Why risk your own safety or vehicle damage to save the small amount of money needed to ensure you have proper gear. If you want to be a good Samaritan no amount of good intentions will be worth anything when your gear has failed causing injury or damage in an already inclement weather situation. If you cant afford the gear, dont opt to help no matter how compelled you may feel. You can easily outfit yourself wisely enough for well under $100, and dont compromise safety in the wake of a guilt trip. You can always be of just as much help/assistance by offering a ride, etc.

Recovery Hitch:

RTJ Hooks:

The bridle theyre attached to:

Some tips -

Never use a tow strap (non elastic)
Never use a strap with metal hooked ends
Never use a strap with chain ends
Never use a strap with frays, cuts, or tears - ONLY good condition straps
Never use a chain
Never use a strap, hitch or D-ring that isnt rated for the given loads/stresses
Never place a D-ring in the middle of two straps (if/when a strap or recovery point breaks, this d-ring becomes an extremely dangerous projectile)
When closing/threading in a d-ring, once threaded all the way in, back it out a quarter turn so it is easy to detach when complete.

Good video resources...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQoBkDREwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWlcGCzbyLo

Last edited by hesh; 09-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

There are a lot of great suggestions.
The answer depends on a lot of conditions.
Offroad. if yes how far off road, can you use a hi-jack and put rocks under the tire, any other options available? I wont go offroad if I dont have tow points. Why risk breaking parts when you can buy tow hooks so cheap and they are so easy to install.
on road. Why are you helping. You might harm more than help.
in winter. I have pushed a vehicle stuck in 2" of snow. It was a rear wheel drive ford or something. It definitely left a mark.

There could be other conditions like if the rig broke down in the middle of a trail.

Bhavin

Quick Reply: Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?