Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a hitch pin for a class III or better hitch, you are set.

The one I use is a 5/8ths locking pin and I've made some pretty hard pulls.

Edit: just looked at it. You'd be good to go with that one.

I have factory hitch and rear factory hook on the left side. I use the hitch 99% of the time. Stronger attachment and a straight on pull is always better than pulling at an angle or from a side IMO.

Last edited by CerOf; 12-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Bear in mind that you dont want to use the hitch pin as the stress point on a recovery, meaning that Ive seen some nasty results when people stuff the loop-hole of the strap into their hitch receiver box, and simply push the pin thru. THIS WILL NOT BE A SAFE MEANS TO RECOVERY, and will bend the pin. The pin is mighty strong, but it is factored on shearing strength with a proper draw bar or recovery hitch/clevis mount in there. When the bar is in the receiver the pin would have to shear to fail, where as in the loop-in-the-receiver-box example, it can (AND WILL) bend and fail. I have a picture of me wearing a 5/8ths pin as an earring when one was used improperly with just a 2" strap and became noticeably bent and twisted lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hesh
Bear in mind that you dont want to use the hitch pin as the stress point on a recovery, meaning that Ive seen some nasty results when people stuff the loop-hole of the strap into their hitch receiver box, and simply push the pin thru. THIS WILL NOT BE A SAFE MEANS TO RECOVERY, and will bend the pin. The pin is mighty strong, but it is factored on shearing strength with a proper draw bar or recovery hitch/clevis mount in there. When the bar is in the receiver the pin would have to shear to fail, where as in the loop-in-the-receiver-box example, it can (AND WILL) bend and fail. I have a picture of me wearing a 5/8ths pin as an earring when one was used improperly with just a 2" strap and became noticeably bent and twisted lol.
I respectfully disagree.

I've seen factory tow hooks bend. I've seen d-ring shackles meant for vehicle recovery break too.

I've seen and heard of *more* factory tow hooks bending than hitch pins bending.

I'd love to see your photograph of the bent hitch pin being used as an ear ring.

As for its strength, my friend, who is an engineer, calculated it out based upon the pin itself. You can't account for everything in life. You've seen a hitch pin bend, I've heard of many shackles failing and seen fist hand a tow hook bend and the strap fly off.

Shtuff happens, right? I am MORE than comfortable using a 5/8ths hitch pin. Worked for me for the last 11 years I've been off-roading. (which isn't that long compared to some folks on here, just my experience)

If you look long enough, you'll find just about everything out there has failed at some point.

My point is, failure of a hitch pin is VERY RARE. I'd argue it is less rare than a shackle failing or a tow hook failing.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CerOf
I respectfully disagree.

I've seen factory tow hooks bend. I've seen d-ring shackles meant for vehicle recovery break too.

I've seen and heard of *more* factory tow hooks bending than hitch pins bending.

I'd love to see your photograph of the bent hitch pin being used as an ear ring.

As for its strength, my friend, who is an engineer, calculated it out based upon the pin itself. You can't account for everything in life. You've seen a hitch pin bend, I've heard of many shackles failing and seen fist hand a tow hook bend and the strap fly off.

Shtuff happens, right? I am MORE than comfortable using a 5/8ths hitch pin. Worked for me for the last 11 years I've been off-roading. (which isn't that long compared to some folks on here, just my experience)

If you look long enough, you'll find just about everything out there has failed at some point.

My point is, failure of a hitch pin is VERY RARE. I'd argue it is less rare than a shackle failing or a tow hook failing.

While Im not questioning the strength of a hitch pin per say, I will say that I believe that the stress and main strength of the pin is in its resistance from shearing, as opposed to across the whole pin. When exerting those forces on the pin at two very VERY close proximity zones on the outward ends of the pin (when the hitch receiver has a drawbar-like unit in it) will require a much higher amount to shear it out of the box, rather than bend and break it. From a structural standpoint, bending (and potentially breaking) the pin is much easier and requires much less force by exerting the load on the center of the pin in a hollow receiver, vs the amount of force needed to shear it on one or both sides should the hitch have a draw bar in it. Please keep in mind that the pin above bent under the use of a 2" smittybilt strap, which isnt anything too crazy in the way of straps/recovery gear strength/size-wise.

Make no mistake, Im not saying tow hooks are better than hitch receivers, or xxx better than yyy, just addressing the Pin vs Recovery Hitch & Pin debate. I too have seen may factory tow hooks, and other gear fail too.

I'll do a rudimentary MSpaint drawing in a bit, because Im not sure if Im coming thru clearly hahaha.

Cheers!

Last edited by hesh; 12-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

that Photo is FANTASTIC!!!

I completely get what you're saying. The load is applied at where the pin touches the holes on either side of the pin. When a draw bar or schackle bar is inserted you go from about 1/4" thick steel on either side to almost 1/2" steel to spread the load. the force won't try to concentrate all in the middle of the pin.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CerOf
that Photo is FANTASTIC!!!

I completely get what you're saying. The load is applied at where the pin touches the holes on either side of the pin. When a draw bar or schackle bar is inserted you go from about 1/4" thick steel on either side to almost 1/2" steel to spread the load. the force won't try to concentrate all in the middle of the pin.
That, and the forces needed to shear that pin at those two points is WAAAAAY more than what's needed to bend or snap that pin in the center.

Glad you liked the pic :p
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What puts less strain my my drivetrain; pulling with my jeep in forward or reverse? (to my tow hooks or hitch)?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
What puts less strain my my drivetrain; pulling with my jeep in forward or reverse? (to my tow hooks or hitch)?
You'd be wise to pull a person using your forward gears, rather than in reverse.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
that guys earing looks stupid ! that puts to much stress on the hitch pin hanging from his factory design !the weakest part of the hitch pin
would appear to be where he has attached to his hubcap ! hence, he shouldnt be advising anyone anything besides how to melt snow with reflection!

anyone tie on to muffler ?
that way if it comes off it saves you some hassle
Who said I advised the other vehicle to attach it that way? I most certainly only use rated gear and/or my OEM mounting pointing points on my truck (of which there are plenty), but will agree that hooking to a pin is a improper place to pull from, which has been my argument all along. The earring pic, silly as it is, was just while goofing around after but still shows how badly a pin can bend when used in that fashion.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
the earing is still attached to a hubcap that sets a bad example to the 4x4 community !( should be propperly attached at least to the nose !)
I must not be down with the young-kids lingo - are you referring to an ear as a 'hubcap' ???

Quick Reply: Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?