Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removal of front drive shaft question-help please

Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of front drive shaft question-help please

Ok, I am removing the front drive shaft. Without knowing any better I did step 4 before step 3 in WOL's write up.....

4. Using a 15mm socket and a ratchet extension, remove the 4 bolts securing your Jeep JK Wrangler’s factory front drive shaft to the pinion flange as shown. If you cannot access the upper bolts, roll your Jeep forward or back a bit like you did in step #3 as this will help. With the 4 bolts removed, the axle end of your Jeep JK Wrangler’s front drive shaft will pretty much fall off however, the transfer case end is seated inside a flange and may take a little effort to get it free. If needed, tap the sides of the drive shaft with a dead blow hammer as that will help.

3. Using an 8mm socket, remove the 8 bolts securing your Jeep JK Wrangler’s factory front drive shaft to the output shaft flange on the transfer case. Accessing these bolts can be very difficult and you may find that you can only remove a couple at a time. As you remove the bolts you can, stop what you’re doing, put your transmission in neutral, release the parking brake and then roll your Jeep just a bit forward or back until you can access more of the bolts. Put your transmission back in park, re-engage your parking brake and then continue removing more bolts.

My question is how do I get the driveshaft to stop spinning so I can get the drive shaft off of the transfer case output flange?????

I know this is a dumb question, but I am at a loss...do I have to reattach one of the bolts to the pinion flange?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put the transfer case in 4HI
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRM
Put the transfer case in 4HI
what he said, shift your t-case into 4wd
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Perfect topic for today's How-To Tuesday...
https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/j...eshafts-407884
Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a impact wrench and held the driveshaft, but putting the transfer case in 4HI works too.

Quick Reply: removal of front drive shaft question-help please