Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where to mount bluetooth adapter on wire from rear of head unit?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount bluetooth adapter on wire from rear of head unit?

I am getting a new stereo in the mail tomorrow and it comes with bluetooth on an external wire so I am trying to find the best place to mount the bluetooth part. I saw in the U-Connect install instructions they say to mount it to the driver side windshield pillar. Will there be too much wind noise with soft doors on in this location? I want it within easy reach and also want it to pick up my voice when I'm driving my soft top JK around. The model is a JVC KD-R320 with the KS-BTA100 bluetooth adapter.

If anyone has installed this system or any similar system please feel free to chime in. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Here is a link to what I picked up:
hxxp://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDBTP30/JVC-CD-Receiver-Bluetooth-Adapter-Package.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Audio_Stre aming|Yes

Click image for larger version

Name:	p105KDBTP30-F.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	210818
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

When I got my Bluetooth upon purchase they installed on windshield header. Everyone I talk with has no problems in hearing me or complaining of wind noise.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Troutbum. Welcome to the forum.

Where on the header did they mount it? Above the mirror or next to the visor (inboard or outboard), etc. Thanks in advance for the specifics. I just want to do this once and do it right.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Ericker - they placed it above the visor in the very top left corner of the window. At first I did not see where it was. Works great. Used it a lot today. Nice having a Bluetooth where the battery won't die.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Troutbum, thanks for the specifics. I'm going to see if I can make that spot work. Hopefully it will, my remote has buttons on it to answer calls, change tracks, etc. Maybe I can fab up a small bracket if I don't like the angle that the buttons are set at.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, So the stereo has been installed and is working perfectly. It sounds way better than the factory unit and now I also have bluetooth audio streaming (it even allows me to change the song on the phone, (amazon cloud drive / internal music / pandora) without me ever touching the phone. This is HUGE for me because 90% of the time I use internet streaming to listen to music in the Jeep. The rear speakers actually put out real sound now. I still wanted most of my sound coming out of the front speakers so I faded slightly to the front and it sounds GREAT!

The PAC unit with the wiring harnesses was pretty big behind the radio but with a little organization of all the bits everything fit w/ no problem. Total parts behind the head unit are the PAC CAN-BUS adapter, Antenna Adapter (from EURO to US plug), the harness from the PAC Adapter to the back of the radio and the long wiring from the bluetooth adapter (I didn't use that much of the length but it is nice to know it is long enough if I ever want to relocate in the future). It took me roughly an hour to solder all the wires, heat shrink them and tape them as well. Then maybe another 30 to 45 minutes to get everything finalized. I also ran a test of all of the features before I buttoned everything back up so that took me 15 minutes or so.

After reviewing where Troutbum's installers put the bluetooth mic I decided that would not work for me as mine lights up and I thought it would be a major driving distraction at night so I opted for putting it directly next to the head unit with the double sided tape that was provided w/ the setup. I used it for approx. 30 minutes and I got no audio complaints from my buddy that I was chatting with. He actually said he didn't realize it was bluetooth until I told him.

All told I recommend to anyone on the fence about upgrading the head unit to do it. You will be thrilled with the sound.

FYI: I also have the Mopar Kicker upgraded speakers (just the 4 main cabin ones, I don't have a Sub). The orig. head unit really wasn't feeding them near enough power.

Name:	IMG_20110917_164500.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	212298

Radio Off

Name:	IMG_20110917_181242.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	212303

Radio On w/ Phone Attached via Bluetooth

Quick Reply: Where to mount bluetooth adapter on wire from rear of head unit?