Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

ORW JK Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit

Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Probably a dumb question, but you wouldn't know if this would fit a 2011 Diesel, with the 5 speed auto MB based gearbox?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I'm not sure. If you can take some pics of the radiator area and the transmission cooler lines and where they go into the factory cooler, I'll take a look at them and see if either the kit will work, or if we could build a different hose configuration that would work with our cooler for that application.

Originally Posted by Aussie Jeepster
Hmmm. Probably a dumb question, but you wouldn't know if this would fit a 2011 Diesel, with the 5 speed auto MB based gearbox?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Still have these cooler kits on special for the forum members! Everything you need in one kit; custom made hoses, all fittings and adapters, brackets and hardware, etc. Our kit + a quart or two of +4 ATF and you'll never overheat that trans.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ORWJK
Still have these cooler kits on special for the forum members! Everything you need in one kit; custom made hoses, all fittings and adapters, brackets and hardware, etc. Our kit + a quart or two of +4 ATF and you'll never overheat that trans.
How much cooler have you found it run? Very interested in buying one if the numbers are good.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

We have had two different people that I dealt with personally, who installed a tranny temp gauge before we installed our cooler kit. Both of them reported back pretty much the same thing; Before the cooler, fluid temp would hit around 200 deg to just over that pretty quickly when wheeling. One of them saw just shy of 220 a couple times. Driving around town in 70 deg weather it would sit at about 150-160 deg or so.
After the cooler install, around town temps were about the same or a hair lower @ about 140-150. The last I heard, neither one was able to get the fluid temp over about 170 in any situation-one of those was running trails in the Anza Borrego desert during 90 deg temps. Both JK's were 4 Unlimiteds with 35's. One was regeared to 5.13's and one was stock gears. Regearing seemed to make about a 10-12 deg difference in the fluid temps between the two Jeeps.
We don't have a temp gauge on our '08, but when wheeling the inlet to the aux cooler gets freaking HOT. The outlet side feels mildly warm, even on the hottest days. I'll get my infrared thermometer out sometime soon and see what the temp drop across the cooler is on a nice hot day.
For reference, our cooler is roughly twice the size of the one you get with the Mopar add-on kit they have now.

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
How much cooler have you found it run? Very interested in buying one if the numbers are good.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed kit today. Would have only taken half the time but had to remove winch to get to drill lower two bolts. If I would have known what a pain in the a$$ the removal would have been I would have welded the lower bracket. Other than that install was pretty easy. Few notes : Mine came with the brackets on backwards and the flange pieces inside backwards as well. I had to reread the fitting instructions like three times since it did not look/ sound how it came since I have never used them before. Hope I did it right since there are no leaks as yet....... My recommendation is to put a picture on the fitting page on the direction of the flange fitting to make it easier and take the guess work out of it. Maybe like lay the pieces together but not assembled. Was really worried about that part since if you mess up your SOL until you can get another fitting. Again, not trying to make it sound harder than it was, just putting my 2cents of issues that may assist the next installer. Overall a very solid piece of accessory. I have no solid numbers to give anyone of temps since I did not install a temp gauge. I ran it for a while and the lines were definitely two very different temps. Way better than the factory one. It was cool to the touch to the transmission line. I also readjusted fan kick on temps since the cooler should make a difference. I initially had to lower the fan temps since my wife and I got the bells and whistles a few days ago from overheat. Did not want to risk the fire thing while we were still out. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3834481767.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	310039   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4100701760.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	310040   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4017680909.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	310041  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Thank you for the feedback! Sorry for the backwards flanges, we had a "new" guy helping to put together some of these, and we must have missed double checking before it got boxed. I'll have to be more careful about double-checking the assemblies before they got boxed.

Justin

Originally Posted by In2rsq1
Installed kit today. Would have only taken half the time but had to remove winch to get to drill lower two bolts. If I would have known what a pain in the a$$ the removal would have been I would have welded the lower bracket. Other than that install was pretty easy. Few notes : Mine came with the brackets on backwards and the flange pieces inside backwards as well. I had to reread the fitting instructions like three times since it did not look/ sound how it came since I have never used them before. Hope I did it right since there are no leaks as yet....... My recommendation is to put a picture on the fitting page on the direction of the flange fitting to make it easier and take the guess work out of it. Maybe like lay the pieces together but not assembled. Was really worried about that part since if you mess up your SOL until you can get another fitting. Again, not trying to make it sound harder than it was, just putting my 2cents of issues that may assist the next installer. Overall a very solid piece of accessory. I have no solid numbers to give anyone of temps since I did not install a temp gauge. I ran it for a while and the lines were definitely two very different temps. Way better than the factory one. It was cool to the touch to the transmission line. I also readjusted fan kick on temps since the cooler should make a difference. I initially had to lower the fan temps since my wife and I got the bells and whistles a few days ago from overheat. Did not want to risk the fire thing while we were still out. Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some actual hard long use results..... No bells and whistles going off. After a solid three hours of 4 wheel high use up and down hills and such. I was still able to grab the cooler line and it was just warm.....awesome cooler. Still no leaks that I can find. Thank you for a great product!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Just put together a bunch more of these kits! Plenty of both the stainless line, and the standard black hose. We've been selling quite a few here with the HOT weather we've been having.
Still offering the same forum special with FREE shipping.
The assembly bench:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	coolerssmall.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	359743   Click image for larger version

Name:	hosessmall.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	359744   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoseendssmall.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	359745  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I hate being "that guy" when we're on the trail. I will defiently be buying this in the future. I've even had the stupid alarm go off in 2-3 feet of snow.

Quick Reply: ORW JK Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit