Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alarm Going Off by Itself? Why??

Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because it misses you
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is ironic, this past week I have been getting sooooo annoyed at someone laying on their horn at all hrs of the day/night. I'd go outside and didn't see anyone around. Thursday I was driving and all the sudden MY horn just went off. Long steady beeeeeeeep. I couldn't stop it. I hit the horn on steering wheel a few times. It eventually stopped(meanwhile I got the meanest looks in traffic) but it started again and continued off and on. I called the dealership and thy told me that some reason my alarm was activating itself and the computer would have to be reset.. Ummm. Okay.. But why??? Well since it was almost 5pm I was gonna take it in on fri.... Until my mouthy horn caused another driver to get so angry he got out of his car in traffic to give me a mean look. At that time I was a block from the dealership and pulled into the service bay horn blasting and they came out and unplugged the horn for me.

Very. Annoying. I haven't been back to have it all reset yet.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PocketWatts
This is ironic, this past week I have been getting sooooo annoyed at someone laying on their horn at all hrs of the day/night. I'd go outside and didn't see anyone around. Thursday I was driving and all the sudden MY horn just went off. Long steady beeeeeeeep. I couldn't stop it. I hit the horn on steering wheel a few times. It eventually stopped(meanwhile I got the meanest looks in traffic) but it started again and continued off and on. I called the dealership and thy told me that some reason my alarm was activating itself and the computer would have to be reset.. Ummm. Okay.. But why??? Well since it was almost 5pm I was gonna take it in on fri.... Until my mouthy horn caused another driver to get so angry he got out of his car in traffic to give me a mean look. At that time I was a block from the dealership and pulled into the service bay horn blasting and they came out and unplugged the horn for me.

Very. Annoying. I haven't been back to have it all reset yet.
Haha, wow. I can only imagine seeing that guy get out of his car and mean muggin' you, unbelievable! That would have been pretty sh!tty had the guy done more then just given a pissy look all due to a faulty horn.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5andcounting
Because it misses you
As much time as I spend with her, I imagine she does get alittle jealous when i'm actually spending time with the wife for a change.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nico4x4
I've been having the same problem. The first time i noticed the problem was when the alarm would go off by itself. Then the Door ajar indicator in the dash would go crazy while i would drive. Check it out in the video below. I certainly going to bring the JK to the dealer tomorrow and get this checked out. What i also noticed was that some settings changed. For example the auto lock option. Once you unlock it and open the door, the doors would lock automatically. I had locked my key inside i usually always leave my key inside the JK when i park it in my garage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEe0i3NuWHk&feature=youtu.be
Haha, your Jeep is going bat-sh!t crazy! I think you need a priest not the dealership! It's almost going along with the music, haha. I tend to leave my keys in my Jeep too now that I finally have my garage back.. hope the same doesn't happen to me!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 Sahara 2D Horn going off.

I have a 2012 Sahara 2D that the horn has been going off when I open the door and the engine is running, while driving and when I use my remote start. Not sure of the issue, going to bring it into the dealer next week.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default On a 2013 Rubi Unlimited

I had to take mine in to the shop twice for this issue. Hit remote start - Alarm. Open door after remote lock - Alarm. Open door after setting in garage overnight - Alarm.

Dealership had to replace both cruise control and hands free control on the steering wheel.

You can easily disconnect the horns so that you don't go deaf every time you open the door. Just be sure to inform the dealership because "We can not get it to replicate your issue", even after you tell the adviser the horns are disconnected. Then you will get the "Oh, uhhhh, welllll, we will test it again..."

YMMV
Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys, not sure if this is the same issue but sounds similar to the problem I was having with my 2013. The horn would randomly go off and stay on for about 45 seconds with nothing that would shut it off. I took it to the dealership and they said this was a known issue and was able to pull this up in their system. There was documentation that they printed off but I don't recall what they call it and they wouldn't give me a copy of it. They said they had to pull the steering column apart and replace some wiring. Since they replaced that, I have not had this happen again.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I don't have the same symptoms but recently my alarm started acting up. Sometimes when I approach the Jeep and hit the unlock button on the key fob, the alarm will sound and I'm unable to turn it off for a minute or so until the unlock button will finally work at disarming. It's a real PITA in a crowed parking lot
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2014 and this just started to happen to me 2 days ago.

When I try to unlock the jeep with the key fob the alarm goes off.
When I park the jeep and not lock it then return and open the door the alarm goes off. Did not use the key.

The alarm is a constant horn for 20-30 seconds. No button on the remote will turn it off, I can start the jeep and drive it and the horn stays on.

This is very annoying

Quick Reply: Alarm Going Off by Itself? Why??