Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

any difference between front and rear brake pads

Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear pads are substantially smaller and don't live nearly as long. I've got a little over 50k on my Jeep. Front pads are original, rears have been replaced twice.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
Thank you!

As a newbie, I have noticed that there is already some brake dust on my rear wheels (something which I never noticed before on any vehicle I have ever owned). Your post helps to explain this.

I know I'm in the right place here, and look forward to learning all the little things that they don't tell you about at the dealership!

All best,
Joe
Yeah, the effect of the ESP on the rear brakes is particularly noticable on my 2-door (probably due to the shorter wheelbase & lighter weight).

I run with the back seat out (which makes a considerable weight difference over the rear axle) & know that particularly when I'm running an empty tank (which makes it even lighter) it doesn't take much gas (or any gas for that matter in the wet) to make the rear end start to slide out around corners. When this happens the ESP detects the slide and body roll & grabs the rear wheels individually quite violently and grindingly-loud, with as much force as if you were to stand on the brakes at 60MPH (assuming the ABS was innactive, causing them to lock).

So it doesn't take many activations of the ESP to really start to wear the rears, & if you do any offroading in sand then the action of the BLD (brake lock differential) is just as severe as it causes the brakes to grab at individual wheels to stop them losing traction.

Quick Reply: any difference between front and rear brake pads