Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG All-terrain vs. Goodyear Duratrac vs. Trail Grappler??

Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG All-terrain vs. Goodyear Duratrac vs. Trail Grappler??

I have been searching for tires for a little bit now, and I have narrowed it down to the BF Goodrich KO All-Terrain, The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, or the Nitto Trail Grappler. Who has these and what do you think of them. Especially if you have had more than one, I would like comparisons. Any opinion welcome
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TeraFlex has heard of more customers having vibration issues with the BFG AT's over any other brand. We really like the Goodyear Duratracs and run those on our TeraFlex PreRunners.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex has heard of more customers having vibration issues with the BFG AT's over any other brand. We really like the Goodyear Duratracs and run those on our TeraFlex PreRunners.
Hmmm, I bought KOs specifically because I have never had issues with them after 5 sets on three vehicles. I chose to balance them with Dynabeads because I didn't think hammer-on weights would last aired down and off-road nor do I like the look of them and the same goes for tape-weights. I have had no issues so far on the JK and will likely buy them again. I think in the end, there are bad tires that come out of any mass-production facility. It just happens. It just depends on if that "squeaky wheel" tells their story here, there, or no where if the tire seems to get a bad rep. (IMO)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing as I am about to buy the Duratrac as they seem to be recommended fairly often on the boards here.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

I am no tire expert by any means, but I like to do a fair amount of research before large purchases (and as we all know rubber is expensive) and I purchased tires this past May, I too was looking at the BFG MT's, Goodyear Duratrac's, Nitto Trail Grappler's, and also the Falken WildPeak A/T's; so here is my .02 (trying to remember all that I found). As with a lot of upgrades to your rig, it depends on how & where you plan to drive... For me, my JK is my daily driver but I also do my fair share of wheeling, also I live in Wyoming where the winters and therefore the roads can be harsh. So I was looking for a good All/Mud Terrain tire. I had previously ran a set of BFG A/T's on a '92 XJ I had and absolutely loved them, so that's where I started. The problem and why I didn't go with those was after some research I found out that BFG couldn't leave well enough alone (can't blame em) and they changed the design, they had changed the design of the tread to a "closed shoulder design" which helps to quiet the tire down but in my opinion it did not allow for the tires to clear out well enough and shed moisture quick enough (again this could just be my own worries) so I decided not to go with these. I love the feedback and look of the Goodyear Duratrac but the price for a set of 5 was a bit high for me at the time, so I did not go with these. I then looked to the Falken and the Nitto tires, I like both and if I had to chose between them I would go with the Falken due to the feedback I have read from people running them; the Falken seem to have a better performance rating both on and off road. Fast forward, I am currently running a Big-O Big Foot A/T's simply because they were close to what I was looking for (performance and look wise) and my local Big-O made me a killer deal on them plus wheels. Once they wear out, I will be looking again first at the Goodyears and Falken and would like to run a set of each to get my own feel for them, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Bottom line, do some research and take into account your plans for use of your rig. All of these are good choices, it will just come down to price and your personal preference. Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Your comparing 2 all terrains to a mud terrain...
Old 11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

I bought the Duratracs. Better winter rating than the rest of them. I love the look of the Nitto's but I drive snow and ice for at minimum 4 months a year.

I'm not unhappy with my purchase whatsoever. Quiet, grip, inexpensive and look good. They are on the small side though. My 33's measure up to 31.5" (but maybe I'm not measuring them correctly). Good luck, whatever you buy, you'll want bigger...trust me.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Go Duratrac it's def the best of both worlds in this matter.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AptPupil
I bought the Duratracs. Better winter rating than the rest of them. I love the look of the Nitto's but I drive snow and ice for at minimum 4 months a year.

I'm not unhappy with my purchase whatsoever. Quiet, grip, inexpensive and look good. They are on the small side though. My 33's measure up to 31.5" (but maybe I'm not measuring them correctly). Good luck, whatever you buy, you'll want bigger...trust me.
Are you running 285/70/17 's? The actual size measurement you gave is concerning as I was considering these but that would mkae them actully smaller than my stock SRA's. Anyone else have actual measurements of Duratac 33's?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IR Tools
Are you running 285/70/17 's? The actual size measurement you gave is concerning as I was considering these but that would mkae them actully smaller than my stock SRA's. Anyone else have actual measurements of Duratac 33's?
33x12.5x15

Quick Reply: BFG All-terrain vs. Goodyear Duratrac vs. Trail Grappler??