Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

cb under steering wheel question

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb under steering wheel question

Can some who has mounted a cobra 29 under their steering wheel help? How did you mount the cb mount bracket to that thin metal piece?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave810
Can some who has mounted a cobra 29 under their steering wheel help? How did you mount the cb mount bracket to that thin metal piece?
What Year of Jeep do you have? Is the Cobra 29 the small formfactor or the bigger size?

I didn't mount mine to a metal bar. I screwed directly into the steering wheel cover.

As you can the i had to trim a inch off the cover to make it fit.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it just may be too low. Getting in and out all the time, I would probably break it. But thats just me.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chip80
I could see some broken knee caps in a head-on collision with the radio mounted there.
If you drive like you got no balls maybe . No really my knees are on either side, but If you're in a wreck that bad its not gonna matter. I do nudge the mike from time to time and I'm 5'9", my seat is not all the way back. I would assume for the taller fellas it might be an issue. Its pretty much out of sight though and in a great location if I need to access it.

The cord does not dangle like in the pic, I have it wedged in-between the CB and steering wheel so its out of the way.

Last edited by Paws; 12-02-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the larger army model. I was looking at mounting it where the lowest removable plastic part is on an 07 and cutting the plastic so only about an inch would show through. There is a small metal half circle bar there I thought may work to mount the bracket to. I'm 6 foot and from where I sit I am no where near that piece.

Quick Reply: cb under steering wheel question