Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tie rod removal on pitman arm

Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tie rod removal on pitman arm

So i'm in the process of installing a lift kit and i tore the boot on the tie rod link that attaches to the pitman arm. I need to replace the tie rod, but it seems i stripped the top of the bolt where the 1/4" allen goes into. Im not able to remove the nut on the tie rod to replace it.. Ive tried using vise grips on the tie rod and they just slip when i turn the nut, ive also tried using a recipricating saw to saw off the tie rod but it just destroys the teeth on the blade

Does anyone have any other ideas on how i can get this damn tie rod off the pitman arm??

Last edited by Croce; 12-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a jack or pry bar and pry the joint back up so the tapered end is held from turning by the Pitman arm. Then use a wrench to remove the nut.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh man do i feel like an idiot
But that worked perfectly. Thanks so much

Now next question lol
Since im replacing the tie rod, do i just screw the new tie rod down to the same point where the existing one is?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Doesn't the Drag Link attach to the Pitman arm?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mjminner
when I replaced my tie rod end on the pitman arm i marked the old one with tape and then transfered the mark to the new one and screwed it in but my steering wheel still needed recentering but thats a piece of cake.
Ok good. i taped mine too. wasnt sure since i installed a lift if i had to adjust it or not
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsears
Doesn't the Drag Link attach to the Pitman arm?
It does, but theres a tie rod on the end that i have to replace due to tearing the rubber boot
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Croce
Oh man do i feel like an idiot
But that worked perfectly. Thanks so much

Now next question lol
Since im replacing the tie rod, do i just screw the new tie rod down to the same point where the existing one is?
U already got it figured out I'm guessing, but I usually count the turns as I take it off and then screw the new one in the same amount of turns. The tape is a good idea also if there's not lube on it to get it out. If u are changing height u will need to adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Tie rod removal on pitman arm