Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Marker light mod

Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to first page of this thread. Its there...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Marker light mod

ed
Originally Posted by semperfimrn1
anybody have good step by step directions.. would really like to do this.. maybe my search button is just messed up
While there may be step-by-step instructions somewhere here on the forum, I did mine following the excellent write-up on Daniel Stearn's lighting web site. It even contained before and after wiring diagrams.
Clear enough that with mt limited electrical skills, I did it (had my electrician standing by just in case!).

Do a search for "Daniel Stearn" and his site will be listed in the search results.

Last edited by paulp575; 09-08-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Search back in this thread to earlier posts. Someone else had the problem of them not working when the head lights were off. You might gain some insight from the archived posts.

I wish I could help you more.. Mine went without a hitch.

Maybe if you take a few pics of how you connected them we can diagnose the problem.
you know what it was? It was the silliest thing, the tape wrapped around the connectors was causing it to short but now it works fine with the lights both on and off
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by QuezyJK
you know what it was? It was the silliest thing, the tape wrapped around the connectors was causing it to short but now it works fine with the lights both on and off
What kind of tape were you using??
Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Need some help guys. I did this mod today and the passenger side works but the driver side will not even come on. I rechecked everything and both sidrs are wired exactly the same using a splice connector. I looked throughthe thread and didn't see anyone having this issue. Also the check engine lighy came on so I am not sure what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Double check, outside white wire on blinker spiced to black wire going to marker.... When I did it I had similar prob... I spiced to black wire, coming from harness, ooops, rewire to other side of cut wire....otherwise your bulb popped, pull the other bulb and test it....
Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
Double check, outside white wire on blinker spiced to black wire going to marker.... When I did it I had similar prob... I spiced to black wire, coming from harness, ooops, rewire to other side of cut wire....otherwise your bulb popped, pull the other bulb and test it....
I have the black wire coming from the marker spliced to the outermost white wire on the blinker harness. I haven't tried the other bulb in there yet so i will try that tomorrow and let ya know. I did a resplice as well and nothing so i may try it again on another part of the wire if the bulb doesn't work. Thanks for the help and I will let ya know tomorrow if the issue is fixed.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

I did this on Friday on my '10 Sahara and it worked with no problems. Now I like the fact that the marker light blinks. This is standard in Europe, so why can't it be in the US. You would think this would be another safety concern so that people right next to you can see that you are turning. I have a buddy of mine that has a '11 Sahara Unlimited and he wants me to help him with his. He likes the fact that it blinks and that it should have come from the factory this way.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jwdanger
I have the black wire coming from the marker spliced to the outermost white wire on the blinker harness. I haven't tried the other bulb in there yet so i will try that tomorrow and let ya know. I did a resplice as well and nothing so i may try it again on another part of the wire if the bulb doesn't work. Thanks for the help and I will let ya know tomorrow if the issue is fixed.
If you've got the correct wire, and the bulb is confirmed good, the only way it wouldn't work is if your splice failed..
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Checked the bulb just a little bit ago and it was blown. I don't know why I didn't think to check that first. Always the simplest thing I forget to check. Replaced the bulb and all is working perfect now. Thanks everyone for the input and advice.Much appreciated!!!!!

Quick Reply: Marker light mod