Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil addative to address dry start knock?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil addative to address dry start knock?

Ran into mechanic friend the other morning, asked him if knew of anything that would address the dry start issue, he said "investigate an oil additive that would allow a good residual coating of the moving parts, Lucas oil may have something that would help".

Anyone try this?

Colder temps here, (5-21 degrees) and the knock is greatly increased.

Currently running Penzoil syn 5w30, Fram xtra guard, (hoping the more expensive Fram would help as the NAPA Gold seems to)
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was my understanding that the tapping noise we hear at start up comes from the hydraulic lifters. When it's cold out, the oil thickens and doesn't reach them as quickly thus you get the momentary noise. Also, this is not truly a "dry" start. There will always be a film of oil on all the internal surfaces at start up, thus although annoying, I don't believe there's any major damage as a result. Search for lifter noise and you will find dozens of engines from various manufacturers suffer from the same thing. If I was living where you're at, which is considerably colder than here in Denver, I'd consider using a 0W-20 oil during Winter. Either that or get a block or pan heater.

IMO, the noise has nothing to do with the filter.

If it truly bothers you, there have been reports on here that MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) and Lucas Oil Treatments have remedied the noise.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I would never put any type of additive into my oil.

Many times the dry start noise you are hearing is due to weak anti-drain back valves on some brands of oil filters. Try switching to a WIX filter (also private labeled as Napa Gold and Carquest) and see if that doesn't solve some of your issues.

WIX part numbers:
Air - 49018
Oil - 51348
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

When it really cold, I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for a few moments...stop cranking release the pedal and start it normally.
The computer won't let the Jeep start if the gas is held wide open so by cranking and not firing will get some of that oil up top before the engine starts. Every time I do this I don't get a dry start knock...not the best solution but still better then dry starting.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've tried all the oil filters that I could find up here in Canada, and I still have this dry start noise as well. I got 1 winter out of the motor before it spun the main bearings. I've found that if you plug the block heater in it will not have a dry start up noise, or not that I hear. I've run synthetic oil in the first block but that did not help me out.
If you hold the pedal as previously stated it will not start as it thinks it's flooded. But it will still make the knocking noise when it starts up. Or at least mine does.
I've just gotten used to plugging the jeep in when I'm getting closer to the 0C (32F). But I've found that if you start it more frequently (2-4 hrs) it does not seem to knock on those start ups. It's like it needs to be warm for the clearance inside to be right. I'm thinking that there will be a hemi under my hood when this eng craps out again.
Good luck with the noise and keep it plugged in
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

And if you do find an additive that works for you let's us know. I'll try most of anything.
Cheers
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Didnt use there additive, but I did change my oil with lucas oil and it took the "knock" away, now changed back to castrol and knock is back, just saying you may want to try it, I plan on buying one quart to try it, hell what 10 dollars to the thousands we have put into our jeeps.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what the difference is between putting in an additive or just using a heavier 5 or 10W-30 oil?

Don't both just increase viscosity and in effect, give more cushion between parts?

The oil cap on my motor calls for 0W-40. I run 15W-50 in the summer heat, and 5W-40 in the winter.

I don't think the problem is only oil filter drainback, because I am no fan of the piss thin oil they use to squeeze another HP or mpg out of these new engines. Damn stuffs probably too thin for most drainback valves to hold, and too thin to not all drain off the upper engine after shutdown.

I used to run 20W-50 in most of the old hopped up V=8's. They never made a bunch of racket on startup.

I may not be right, but it has always worked for me.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default eng. knock

5 qts. of mobil1, 1 qt. of lucas oil additive syn. and a motorcraft lf400s filter. helped my 08. Lucas syn. additive is a little high money wise.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldtimejeep
5 qts. of mobil1, 1 qt. of lucas oil additive syn. and a motorcraft lf400s filter. helped my 08. Lucas syn. additive is a little high money wise.
I did exactly the same thing, and the knock got worse. I pulled off the filter when cold, and it was holding oil back, but the oil was like syrup when cold. I will not use the Lucas Synthetic additive ever again in this vehicle (2011 JKU). Wasted the money on the Mobil1!

I am running Castrol Edge now and hardly any noise. Last night was 17F Next oil change will be Royal Purple with Napa Platinum filter.

Quick Reply: Oil addative to address dry start knock?