Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red light to the right of temp gauge

Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
Not too worry I keep a spare key in the folder with the manual. ....... Doh!
So you have both keys in thevehicle at one time... I wonder if it confused the computer as it might have started reading both at the same time. ( i dont know if the reader is by the ignition or in the actual ECM.

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
I knew I should have explained I didn't have access to manual. Rear seats folded down and it's under them. I have a couple hundred pounds of tools back there and a broken foot not allowing me to move them at the moment. I knew someone was gonna bust my chops lol. Soooooo they key! Ahhhh very good sir thank u much
What a lame excuse, lol ! i wouldn't go diggin for it either!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 AM
WKW
JK Newbie

Default Sentry Key

Bucko is right on with it being the sentry key I think this key system is a really poor design that could leave you stranded. If the battery in the key/key-fob combo dies the jeep will just cut off and refuse to start...with no indication or warning that this is the problem which could cost you big bucks for unnecessary towing and diagnostic service.... Also, if the key is dead and you unlock the door manually the alarm will be activated and the key placed in the ignition will not disarm it. Lucky for me I figured this out when I tried to retrieve something out of my wife's jeep while it was at the train station. This key was dead so I opened the door manually which activated the alarm...I started the engine in hopes to shut the blasting alarm and the Jeeps engine just cut off and the alarm kept basting away. My wife just recently grabbed this dead key and the jeep would just cut off. Forgetting about this dead key issue we almost spent the money for a tow and service until I remembered what happened the year before at the train station. I guess I should get a new battery for both keys and keep an extra battery in the Jeep. Again, very poor design.....
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Man, where's a camera when you need it. While I was up in Tahoe, CA visiting the inlaws, the Jeep Jamboree was going on at the same time doing the Rubicon and as luck would have it, there was probably a dozen or so 4-Door JK's all over town. After doing a little asking around, I am told there was as many as 25 JK's up there doing photoshoots and shmoozing with the media. Anyway, I would have posted this thread under Papparazi but as I mentioned earlier, I never had a camera in hand when one passed me by :(

Oh well, it's cool to finally see these things out there and I have to say, as much as I really don't like 4-Doors, these thing do look really cool
You do know that the battery in the key fob has nothing to do with the rf receiver in the key right? This is the key I use in my jeep. And yes I have power everything. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395676707568.jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	540146
This is the same key that the manual door lock jeeps have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WKW
Bucko is right on with it being the sentry key I think this key system is a really poor design that could leave you stranded. If the battery in the key/key-fob combo dies the jeep will just cut off and refuse to start...with no indication or warning that this is the problem which could cost you big bucks for unnecessary towing and diagnostic service.... Also, if the key is dead and you unlock the door manually the alarm will be activated and the key placed in the ignition will not disarm it. Lucky for me I figured this out when I tried to retrieve something out of my wife's jeep while it was at the train station. This key was dead so I opened the door manually which activated the alarm...I started the engine in hopes to shut the blasting alarm and the Jeeps engine just cut off and the alarm kept basting away. My wife just recently grabbed this dead key and the jeep would just cut off. Forgetting about this dead key issue we almost spent the money for a tow and service until I remembered what happened the year before at the train station. I guess I should get a new battery for both keys and keep an extra battery in the Jeep. Again, very poor design.....
Zombie thread.

Maybe change the fob battery....

But, as mentioned, the fob battery is just for remote functions. Sentry key is unrelated.

If you don't want to set the alarm, lock the door with the key from outside. Not with a remote or door button.

Then go by a battery for the fob.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My key didn't look like that, it was the one with the remote lock/unlock buttons. Also, after it didn't start, my wife brought me her key and it didn't work either. I wish I knew if this was going to be a common problem. I hope to never see it again.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Sometimes static electricity can crash the wireless control module (WCM) when you insert the key.
It can cause a no start, or a start then shutdown 2 seconds later.

When the problem is a crashed WCM, lifting up on the white fuse holder in the fuse box, then re-seating it after a few seconds, will reset the WCM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davefisher
My key didn't look like that, it was the one with the remote lock/unlock buttons. Also, after it didn't start, my wife brought me her key and it didn't work either. I wish I knew if this was going to be a common problem. I hope to never see it again.
I bought that after I got my alarm. Didnt like the bulkier key with my viper two way pager remote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Sometimes static electricity can crash the wireless control module (WCM) when you insert the key.
It can cause a no start, or a start then shutdown 2 seconds later.

When the problem is a crashed WCM, lifting up on the white fuse holder in the fuse box, then re-seating it after a few seconds, will reset the WCM.
A few months back that happened to me. Yes -20c and windy. Tried the above but ended up with a 2 mile tow to a dealership.
Dealer just replaced WCM / WIM and reprogrammed 2 of my chipped plain keys at the same time.
Had 2 more spare chipped keys stashed away that still have the original code that won't keep the engine running for more than the 2 second initial start.
That said, does anyone know if the self programming procedure for coding new blanks will work to RECODE chipped keys.
Re-cap : Had 4 chipped ignition keys. 2 got reprogrammed with new WCM. Wondering if I can redo remaining 2 onboard.
Just asking before I attempt so that I don't end up scaring the computer into a lock down mode

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 05-12-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is my alarm system light on my 2010 JKUR

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Former Member

Yes. When I checked using my 2 spare transponder keys programmed to the old WCM that light comes on and flashes. Engine will start using them and stop 2 or 3 seconds later as if they were any old wrong key.
Question is that they were programmed once already and if anyone knows if they can be written over using the self programming function that I used to code them the first time. Don't want another tow due to a failed experiment.

Quick Reply: Red light to the right of temp gauge