Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Red light to the right of temp gauge

Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by vgullotta
So, what if you have this light coming on once in a while for a few seconds, but you don't have a factory alarm, or fancy key fob, or even power windows and door locks?

07 2dr X with like absolutely no options what-so-ever - don't even have a center console thing with an arm rest.

And for the haters, my manual is fully soaked through and not readable anymore due to being submerged on the Rubicon trail lol
That light is for your anti-theft key interlock. All new U.S. vehicles have this feature. Lighting is not normal except during bulb test when starting vehicle. Once it stays on, your vehicle will not run. It will start, run two or three seconds, then die. Flashing indicates a malfunction that "requires dealer attention". You might try resetting it by disconnecting your battery for a minute or so and see if it quits acting up.

BTW: I downloaded a free copy of my owners manual from Jeep website. It is a .pdf, and I carry a copy on my phone and tablet.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That light is for your anti-theft key interlock. All new U.S. vehicles have this feature. Lighting is not normal except during bulb test when starting vehicle. Once it stays on, your vehicle will not run. It will start, run two or three seconds, then die. Flashing indicates a malfunction that "requires dealer attention". You might try resetting it by disconnecting your battery for a minute or so and see if it quits acting up.

BTW: I downloaded a free copy of my owners manual from Jeep website. It is a .pdf, and I carry a copy on my phone and tablet.
Ha, you're right, it is the key thing! Thanks for the tip: Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep for anyone who needs the link, but it's super easy to find on the site too. Good going Jeep that is a nice feature to not have to cough up $45 or whatever to your stealurshit for a new manual!

Quick Reply: Red light to the right of temp gauge