Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dealer Inventory

Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Inventory

Is it possible to find out how long a particular jeep has been on a dealer's lot? I guess my thinking is if one has been sitting awhile, they may be more prone to deal.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Your best bet is to actually look up their name on Craigslist and look for that particular vehicle on their listings.. You will see when it was first posted and how long it has been since.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by leninglass
Your best bet is to actually look up their name on Craigslist and look for that particular vehicle on their listings.. You will see when it was first posted and how long it has been since.
I'll see if they advertise on craigslist as that would be a great way to find out.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Sadly, it not quite how it works... at least not typically.

For a dealer to want to give you a bargain on a vehicle that has been on their lot for a "long" time, they would naturally want to get something in return. If they move said vehicle, it gets replaced with something else. There is no guarantee that the replacement vehicle will move any faster. Dealers don't have as much leeway on what they stock as one might think. Furthermore, a vehicle has to have been in their inventory for at least 12 months before they can start writing it down (expensing it, sort of like depreciation). It's only after that 12 month period that the typical dealership would mark the vehicle down or have more (than usual) wiggle room to strike a deal/bargain.

This is not to say that a dealership won't throw in an extra $250 off to help move a slow moving vehicle (which is almost always due to how the vehicle is equipped), but we are talking a small amount of wiggle room here... at least until the 12 month period is up and the vehicle can be written down.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Sadly, it not quite how it works... at least not typically.

For a dealer to want to give you a bargain on a vehicle that has been on their lot for a "long" time, they would naturally want to get something in return. If they move said vehicle, it gets replaced with something else. There is no guarantee that the replacement vehicle will move any faster. Dealers don't have as much leeway on what they stock as one might think. Furthermore, a vehicle has to have been in their inventory for at least 12 months before they can start writing it down (expensing it, sort of like depreciation). It's only after that 12 month period that the typical dealership would mark the vehicle down or have more (than usual) wiggle room to strike a deal/bargain.

This is not to say that a dealership won't throw in an extra $250 off to help move a slow moving vehicle (which is almost always due to how the vehicle is equipped), but we are talking a small amount of wiggle room here... at least until the 12 month period is up and the vehicle can be written down.
Great info.. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by UTJeep73
Great info.. Thanks a lot.
Not a problem. Just to reiterate, in the name of concision, you may be able to negotiate if the vehicle has been on the lot for a while... but until you hit that 12 month period and the dealership can begin writing the vehicle down, there really isn't a great deal of additional wiggle room over a vehicle that just arrived.

Happy shopping.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my new Jeep this week! First Jeep, only my 2nd new purchase in my 51yrs. My experience in Richmond and the Va beach area is they would deal but not much. They were nice but seemed a little like hey its going to sell its just a matter of to who. I played it like this with dealers.
Its a toy for me, a want not a need, I don't care when I get it. Let them quote you a out the door # give them all your contact info and walk out. What I wanted was the base model/auto/3.73/soft top, I don't think they have a lot of room on a base model. All the dealers I dealt with showed me "cost" whatever that is. After you walk out, calls will start, it's still a game just a matter of how much you want to play. They will move on the processing fee, mine went away completely. I gotta tell ya its one of the coolest purchases I've every made no doubt "it's a Jeep thing"!
Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could run a carfax report on the VIN #, it will show when the dealership was assigned the title, and I believe when the transfer/delivery of the vehicle took place. Most dealerships will give you the report for free.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, all.. This was the information I was hoping for.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

i think the 2012s are selling so well there's none sitting on the lot long enough for that kind of an incentive. i got $2k off my 2008 F-150 because it had been on the lot of 6 months, but that was in the days when the dealers couldn't believe someone was coming in to actually buy a truck. still can't believe i drove a new F-150 home for $16K then.

Quick Reply: Dealer Inventory