Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
So, I get why people buy the ripp.... it was available and it is a decent product. But a spool design is a bad choice for any jeep. I have a sprintex and love it. I have not had this much control when crawling even when ruining on 35s.. Instant jump in torque, instant performance. It's no hemi, but it's a whole lot better than before. Best part, out pacing a 3.6 up a hill on the highway. I am running 4.88s on 38s. He was running 4.56s on 35s.

Main reason I went with ripp was 1) I contacted sprintex multiple times with no response and when they did respond they didn't answer my question....

I like that ripp actually posts wheel hp not a percentage.

2) I bought ripp because I got it for way under the price a brand new one is. I do like the design of sprintex I just couldn't get informed enough by the company...

I'm sure both products are great
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

I'm looking into the ripp. They are the only ones that tell you what your getting. If it wasn't for my daughters sweet16 Id have it already.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can somebody finally do something usefull with this thread, aka sum all the pros and cons of all the systems available?

Sprintex
?

Ripp
?

Magnusson
- surges on hwy,
+ clean install

i.e. i keep hearing that Magnusson has issues with the tune (surges on the hwy), than again I like them having water/air IC instead of another air/air cooler up front, that will get clogged with mud. what I also like about them is their placement in between the heads - clean install at the top most of the engine, so no major issues when crossing the water...
Old 02-02-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
What HP and TQ numbers on your hemi? I assume you changed out the axles too?
It's a 5.7 2012 Hemi, Jeep Speed Shop (JSS), supplies the computer, and it has been "chipped" by them.......The engine is from a VVT Ram 1500 Truck: 390 hp (291 kW), 407 lb·ft (552 N·m)....... JSS flames around 420hp with the upgrades and its supplied 3"exhaust. The Jeep really does hull ass....

My credentials to say this?:
We have raced the last 3 Baja 500's
We have raced the last 4 Baja 1000's
We almost took first place last year but our truck blew a rod at mile marker 965:-(
We race Corvettes, 5 of them... the Fastest being a 650hp 3000b 1979 C3
We build the cars ourselves.... just did a $60,000 build for Deric Colman of the Seattle SeaHawks... a friend

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
So, I get why people buy the ripp.... it was available and it is a decent product. But a spool design is a bad choice for any jeep. I have a sprintex and love it. I have not had this much control when crawling even when ruining on 35s.. Instant jump in torque, instant performance. It's no hemi, but it's a whole lot better than before.

Best part, out pacing a 3.6 up a hill on the highway. I am running 4.88s on 38s. He was running 4.56s on 35s.
You are correct, the spool design sucks for our needs... Rip just does not cover the bill... but an ok bandaid. The Sprintex has low end tq, and almost instant throttle response...
And it is not a bunch of parts put together in someones back yard... it was purposeful made for our jeeps.... A far supper product over RIPP.... I have a V8.... so i no longer have a dog in the race... but the sprintex is far superior to the Ripp

Originally Posted by hellphenix
I'm looking into the ripp. They are the only ones that tell you what your getting. If it wasn't for my daughters sweet16 Id have it already.
Sprinted took very good care of me... just saying

And they will tell you whatever you want to hear.... to sale you their product... your getting a backyard bunch of parts that can not pass California smog....

Originally Posted by PET77
Can somebody finally do something usefull with this thread, aka sum all the pros and cons of all the systems available?

Sprintex
?

Ripp
?

Magnusson
- surges on hwy,
+ clean install

i.e. i keep hearing that Magnusson has issues with the tune (surges on the hwy), than again I like them having water/air IC instead of another air/air cooler up front, that will get clogged with mud. what I also like about them is their placement in between the heads - clean install at the top most of the engine, so no major issues when crossing the water...

the Sprintex is the best of the bunch... The ripr is more like a turbo with its spin up time.... don't look at just top HP and tq numbers.... look at the power band, thats peek tq rpm to peek hp rpm.... that will tell you much more... The Sprintex works with you cruse control as well... the rip last time i herd had problems there as well... its hard for a garage type business such as rip to keep up with the big guys like Sprintex and Magnusson... they have much more money to design and make a product. thus, usually much better,.... sorry, but thats life rip....

I did a LOT of research... including driving each unit, seeing each unit and talking to the manufacture at SEMA for 2 years in a row... there is no contest... the screw purposeful built SC's are the best...

But there is no replacement for displacement.... and NONE of these units come even remotely close to a 5.7 Hemi... ,

Last edited by pauldana; 02-02-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

dup post
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Ripp does not tell you what you are getting. They tell you want they want you to hear. For example, ask them to provide you their Dynao band from 700 rpms to 2700 rpms. The last time I asked for that info, they said they have not dyno'd a manual. Yet on their website, they state they dyno'd both a manual and an automatic. They don't show you this piece of info, because they have a spool design and it does not offer you what you need. So, all of their dyno's start at the 2500 to 2700 rpms. If you don't believe me, google it.

They also talk about peak HP and TQ. Look at where those numbers site in the power band. Who drives in that RPM range? Not I! Maybe if you had to floor it, but that is the exception. Sprintex does publish its dyno and the peak gains as a % are right where you want it. between 700 to 3k rpm range. They show you their dyno's in terms of HP and TQ. But understanding the % is the key.

So, when you are driving in 6th gear up a mountain, the probability of you having to down shift goes down using a Sprintex. The fact that you see higher hp and TQ sooner means the less you have to shift gears back and forth in hill terrains. Are you towing? Same thing holds true... More power sooner

This is nothing to do with the quality of RIPPs product. I am sure they do a good job. This is a discussion about what works best for a jeep. Twin Screws are by far the best. Unless you are racing in a formula one environment, then possibly a spool would be a good choice. However, I think it is still debatable.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

So here is where I asked about a dyno at the lower rpms...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...309935/page14/

And here is their website where they claimed they dyno'd a manual.

2007-11 Jeep Wrangler JK 3.8 V6 Supercharger Kit Intercooled CARB Legal ? RIPP Superchargers

So, like I said. Marketing 101. Tell them what they think they want to hear.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't need extra power at 1k rpm, in 1st gear, in 4:1 low, with 5.38 gears, and 40s.

I wanted more power to pass a semi on a 2 lane highway at 70 mph, which I do at 4k+ rpm.

I also wanted more power for sand and for deep snow wheeling, which I do at higher rpm.

An 07-11 that is properly geared will run about 2500 rpm or more at 70 mph.

So, I don't really buy the complaint that the RIPP doesn't really make HP gains under 2000-2500 rpm.

This is why I am completely happy with our 2 RIPPd JKS.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

"And they will tell you whatever you want to hear.... to sale you their product... your getting a backyard bunch of parts that can not pass California smog...."

For all your bluster and claiming you are all knowing, you are wrong. I have the CARB # to prove it. With that statement as evidence, what else are you exaggerating about your credentials. Lying to try and make your point calls into question everything you say.

Again, do your own research and buy what you want. I did and am very happy with what I did.

Mike
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I didn't need extra power at 1k rpm, in 1st gear, in 4:1 low, with 5.38 gears, and 40s.

I wanted more power to pass a semi on a 2 lane highway at 70 mph, which I do at 4k+ rpm.

I also wanted more power for sand and for deep snow wheeling, which I do at higher rpm.

An 07-11 that is properly geared will run about 2500 rpm or more at 70 mph.

So, I don't really buy the complaint that the RIPP doesn't really make HP gains under 2000-2500 rpm.

This is why I am completely happy with our 2 RIPPd JKS.
Thank you - so 4000+ kits later

1. RIPP is damn proud to be a 5 man team working out of NYC IN A 3000SQ/FT SHOP, we've done more with less and will continue to do so.
  2. We don't have to market anything - there is no smoke and mirrors - the industry has spoken - Installations shop's have installed all the competitors products. They have tried them all and the sales speak for themselves. That's the true measurement of product value.
  3. Since when is being larger better? Seems to us they have to catch up to us with all their fancy over priced do-dads and mombo-jombo. Our supercharger kit is simple because it DOES NOT HAVE to be complicated. Centrifugal kits install in a much more standardized fashion and do not require 3D rendering to fit them. Know why? Because it is a much more simple compressor than any positive displacement and is less intrusive as well. The fact is our competitors HAVE TO work harder to get their design to work. But don't misinterpret that for lack of talent on our side. We are certified third party engineers for Vortech Superchargers (our compressor of choice) and we continue to enjoy a 15 year relationship with them. If there's something we would need help with, we simply lean on them. Volumetrics are not that complicated at these power levels, we seemed to have figured it out on our own.
  4. We're not intimidated by how large our competitors are, we only focus on our clients and their needs. Our systems take the Jeeper as a whole in mind and over all we continue to deliver a better Jeep experience on and off-road. Our system has driven cross country many times, off-roaded tens-of-thousands of times, competed professionally and rescued people stranded is dangerous conditions. At this point, for a competitor to say we are being dishonest is a little late in the game. We've put the good to the ground and clients have spoken.
  5. End users have boasted more about, higher MPG, ease of install, ease of drivability, ease of tow, ease of owning in general and most importantly many have crossed the 100000 mile mark on our hand crafted components.

At the end of the day, we've proven our worth with the time tested components the entire industry relies on, we have 100's of reviews not a handful of rude innuendos and stabs at personnel. When a RIPP client gets our products, his/her expectations are set going in. Furthermore we've emulated that experience globally. The competition's products have been and continue to be hit or miss. They are non existent for customer support and they have not delivered the type of experience ours have. Their NOT "like" RIPP, they're just trying to be like RIPP.

Like all threads of this type, they use RIPP to bring attention to their brand and if anyone is using marketing 101 it's this thread. Threads like this bring attention to what the market has deemed a flop. The original poster continues to promote a product that lacks integrity while driving around a swapped JK. That to us seems undermined and shady. He's now promoting V8 swaps and bless him for being able to afford it. At the end of the day, we demonstrate our products on LARGE tires in real world conditions the way our clients use them. We do not slip on smaller stock tires find a 6spd and make glory pass on the dyno for fun to see how high we can get it. We instead bring the engine up to temperature and demonstrate the actual HP. Independent tests have proven our numbers and made our claims FACT. Besides, if the product sucked people simply wouldn't buy it, we would have been closed a long time ago

We leave you with this thought. A Folex looks like Rolex but ultimately is fake - We have proven to be the standard and continue to do so. Once again, thank you for the opportunity to further back our integrity in a thread that died with a product that failed and is trying to make a come back.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????