Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shudder / Vibe on gentle braking.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder / Vibe on gentle braking.

Hi All,
Need consolation, my 4-door JK Rubicon started to make a faint shudder / viberation on gentle decelaration to stop and then also from pull away (gentle). Only those last few yards before coming to standstill as well as the first few after pull away. The feeling is very much the same as when ESP and or Tracksion control kicks in during off roading. But this is like when I pull the JK into the garage, or normal day to day driving conditions. Always under gentle driving conditions. At first I thought it could have been wet discs, it has been raing a lot the past few days.
Please tell me it is nothing serious ! It is the first time something like this happens, my Jk has done 17000 km's now.

Next step is to take her to the dealer ??
Regards
JN
Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you had left out the "from pull away (gentle)" part, I wouldda jumped all over warped rotors. I suppose, with all of the electronics involving the braking system, warped rotors is still a possibility, although I think doubtful.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joenel
Hi All,
Need consolation, my 4-door JK Rubicon started to make a faint shudder / viberation on gentle decelaration to stop and then also from pull away (gentle). Only those last few yards before coming to standstill as well as the first few after pull away. The feeling is very much the same as when ESP and or Tracksion control kicks in during off roading. But this is like when I pull the JK into the garage, or normal day to day driving conditions. Always under gentle driving conditions. At first I thought it could have been wet discs, it has been raing a lot the past few days.
Please tell me it is nothing serious ! It is the first time something like this happens, my Jk has done 17000 km's now.

Next step is to take her to the dealer ??
Regards
JN

So you get vibration and shutter when you apply the brakes???? If you do I hate to say it but your Brake Rotors are warped. Or it could be a caliper that is not releasing properly and causing the rotor to heat up and warp. This may have happened if you are saying it has been raining lots. However, the good thing is you are under 20K kilometers and the dealership should warranty this issue.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Vibration on brakes

Rather difficult to explain, but it is definitely not like a warped disc or anything, just a slight tremor that occurs during the last 360º the wheel rotate before stand still. Same with take off. It is very much like the feeling one gets when ABS kick in during some off road setuations.
I have tried to disengage ESP etc but no change. Looks like I'll have to take her in for a check-up. It is not a serious thing but I don't just want to ignore it, it only started about 50km ago. I'm going to take her on a long run this week end, I'll see then if it is not a cry from the JK to be taken out of the city for a change.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi

Rather difficult to explain, but it is definitely not like a warped disc or anything, just a slight tremor that occurs during the last 360º the wheel rotate before stand still. Same with take off. It is very much like the feeling one gets when ABS kick in during some off road setuations.
I have tried to disengage ESP etc but no change. Looks like I'll have to take her in for a check-up. It is not a serious thing but I don't just want to ignore it, it only started about 50km ago. I'm going to take her on a long run this week end, I'll see then if it is not a cry from the JK to be taken out of the city for a change.
It could be your ABS/ESP not functioning right or a Caliper(s) is/are not releasing properly.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi

Do you have mud tires? The you can feel the lugs in the mud tires do this..
Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

It could be a bad Wheel speed sensor. The sensors send out so many pulses per revolution and the computer uses this to calculate the speed of all wheels. If one of you wheel sensors is sending out erratic pulses at low speed. When you are almost stopped the ABS could think you are locking up that wheel and kick in. The same thing if pulling out it could think you a spinning a wheel and the traction control kicks it.

Its just a thought..
Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

If you have "off road" tires, it is a good chance that is what you feel. Every Jeep I have owned or ridden in, I have felt exactly what you are describing, and it was due to the tire tread of the "non-street" tires. You do have mud terrains, so try rolling very, very slow for about 30 yards, and see if the vib maintains the entire time. If so, it's most likely your tires, and if that is the case, then you have nothing to worry about...it's normal.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Shudder / Vibration on gentle braking

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info so far, at least I now have a couple of suggestions to present to the dealer. This vibration on the last rotation of the wheels and take off started when my Rubicon had its standard (factory fitted) tyres on and it has done only 17000km of "old man" driving. (She's my baby) I have fitted a set of 35" Bighorn's last week, and the tremor is still there but irratic now. I think it has definately something to do with all the electronic gadgetry like ESP and tracsion control. I'll take her to the dealer this week and report back.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info so far, at least I now have a couple of suggestions to present to the dealer. This vibration on the last rotation of the wheels and take off started when my Rubicon had its standard (factory fitted) tyres on and it has done only 17000km of "old man" driving. (She's my baby) I have fitted a set of 35" Bighorn's last week, and the tremor is still there but irratic now. I think it has definately something to do with all the electronic gadgetry like ESP and tracsion control. I'll take her to the dealer this week and report back.
I know it been almost a year but I'm curious what this turned out to be. I have the same vibrations you described. I'm thinking it's just the mud tires but I'm also concerned it could be the TSB about the torque converter that has symptoms of feeling like your driving over a rumble strip.

Quick Reply: Shudder / Vibe on gentle braking.